4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2015 9:11 AM by philmodjunk

Version Advice?

director@charlesmoore.org

Title

Version Advice?

I'm a single FM Pro Advanced user currently running 11.  Id like to upgrade, but I understand that 14 no longer supports web publishing. I also discovered that 14 only "backward" works with12 and 13.  What I need to do is have my FM files on my "main computer", but then be able to work on the file using Remote on my laptop. 

Does anyone have advice about what would be the most cost effective way to do this?

I appreciate any advice! 

• 1. Re: Version Advice?
          philmodjunk

What I need to do is have my FM files on my "main computer", but then be able to work on the file using Remote on my laptop. 

This is possible with all versions of FileMaker and does not require web publishing. IT does require either a second copy of FileMaker or the use of an iOS device with the Free FileMaker Go app as the client of the hosted database.

FileMaker 12, 13 and 14 use a different file format than  versions 7 - 11. So with any of these versions, you will need to convert your file over to the new format (usually a simple process of using the new version to open the old.)

Neither 13 nor 14 support Instant Web Publishing as the much more capable Web Direct took over that capability, but this requires the much more expensive FileMaker Server so this "froze out" the small "mom and pop" set ups that used IWP as a quick way to share a database out amongst a modest number of users via web browsers.

• 2. Re: Version Advice?

Thanks so much....  It's HUGELY disappointing that FILEMAKER has indeed FROZEN out small-scale users for Web Publishing.  That's puzzling to me, as Filemaker seems to be used by these types of customers, as anyone seriously interested in more robust systems do not use FM, but instead ORACLE or others.

• 3. Re: Version Advice?

If anyone in the Filemaker Forum agrees, please reply or "like" this post so we can send to FM.

• 4. Re: Version Advice?
                philmodjunk

There is a FeedBack section of this forum for this purpose. And you are about a version late as this was a change made with the release of the previous versoin.