3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 6:13 AM by philmodjunk

Vertical portals (ie columns of records)

symbister

Title

Vertical portals (ie columns of records)

I realise that this is an old chestnut - but what is the reason that these are not possible ? - is it the scan/refresh of screens, presumably from top down, or is it the OS that doesn't allow for horizontal scrollbars ? or just an inherent FM difficulty ? or all of the above?

TIF (thanks in frustration)

• 1. Re: Vertical portals (ie columns of records)
          philmodjunk

Huh?

Vertical portals are the standard (dare we say "default"?) way to set up a portal and works just fine.

Do mean a Horizontal portal?

Why is not a question that can be answered in this forum. First you'd have to ask someone that works for FileMaker Inc. Then they'd have to be willing to risk getting in trouble by possibly violating a non-disclosure policy or two.

But you can create a horizontal portal today by setting up a series of one row portals side by side. Select Initial row 1 for the first portal, initial row 2 for the second portal and so forth...

It's a bit of a nuisance to set up, but it works.

• 2. Re: Vertical portals (ie columns of records)
            symbister

thanks Phil, yes of course I meant horizontal, I was thinking in terms of regular portals having horizontal rows of records, where I was wanting vertical columns of records with horizontal scroll bar. My users are used to entering data in columns on an excel sheet, so was trying to emulate that.

I'll try the workaround as suggested but would really like a rational answer to the apparent impossibility of my quest

• 3. Re: Vertical portals (ie columns of records)
              philmodjunk

The only answer that I can give you is that the current version does not have this capability.