3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2012 12:13 PM by philmodjunk

vertical scroll bar in edit box does not show for display only objects

med

Title

vertical scroll bar in edit box does not show for display only objects

I am using file maker 12 and I have an object  on a layout which is an edit box. When I specify in the inspector thet the vertical scroll bar shows, it works only if the I allow entry in browse or find mode. BUT I need this to be a display only with the ability to scroll to read all lines. Any idea how to do this.

• 1. Re: vertical scroll bar in edit box does not show for display only objects
          philmodjunk

The scroll bar will be visible if at least the right border is selected for the field (assuming thisis the same as how it works in FMP11), but you won't be able to scroll the scroll bar unless browse mode access is permitted in field behavior settings.

The workaround to use to get a read only field with a working scroll bar is to use a calculation field formatted with a scroll bar to display the contents of your text field.

• 2. Re: vertical scroll bar in edit box does not show for display only objects
            med

Thank you it works with a calculation field.

Now I have another question. What do you usually do to change a table structure at a customer location if you cannot have his files to modify it manually. I need to send him a "program" to do that.

• 3. Re: vertical scroll bar in edit box does not show for display only objects
              philmodjunk

Create a new version of the file, include a script that imports all data from the users current file into the new file. If you design such solutions to use the Data Separation Model: Convert to Seperation Model you can greatly reduce how often you need to do such imports. (But of course a stucture change to a table is a case where you have to set up the import.)

Such imports should also update serial number field settings so that their next serial value will be greater than that of any data just imported. This can also be part of the script.

If you set this up correctly, the user can simply click a button to start the process, then select the original file in a dialog box and the rest is an automatic update and they can replace their old file with the new after the script finishes execution.