10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2010 8:52 AM by philmodjunk

Very important for me , Please help me...

camelCasing

Title

Very important for me , Please help me...

my problem is in Mac operating system. i think it is very easy but i havent done for a long time.

i use a fm pro adv.  on Windows .  But my friends used on Mac.

I attach the pdf documents to Program(developed with fm) and i read that documents on Programs(Windows) easyly.

But my friends can not read that documents on Programs(Mac)..

How can i solve this problem ?? please write me

rkarabinar@gmail.com my mail.

• 1. Re: Very important for me , Please help me...
          philmodjunk

I have questions:

How are you "attaching" the PDF's? are these emails with attached PDFs?

PDFs stored in container fields of a filemaker database you are sharing via LAN or Web?

Something else?

• 2. Re: Very important for me , Please help me...
            camelCasing

i am attaching as a pdf (it is already pdf document) with right click and i can read with double click in filemaker on Windows. But i am attaching  pdf document with right click on Mac .But i cannot read in File maker if i want to read, i have to save as pdf document in my comp. Yes it is a container fields. And I am sharing via LAN.  

• 3. Re: Very important for me , Please help me...
              dumiya

cC

Have you tried to save the FM pdf to your desk top and then manually attaching it to the email to you mac friends.

I get sent attachments from FM on PCs  to my Mac with no problems.

When you say they cannot open it what do they receive in their email. 

Does the file get sent?

It the file in the email empty.

Does the file have its  ".pdf' attached

D

• 4. Re: Very important for me , Please help me...
                camelCasing

Sorry, You got it wrong. My friend and me use the same program which developed with FileMaker. I am doing every thing that i sad, for example .pdf atachment and then reading.She can attach but cant read, one more interesting event is i can read pdf that she attached :s

• 5. Re: Very important for me , Please help me...
                  dumiya

cC

I think we have a language translation problem.  .  Please check 1, 2, 3, 4 to see if I understand.

1. You can attach a pdf and send it to your friend.     She can open and read this pdf.   So this is okay.

2. She can attach a pdf and send it to you.  You can open and read this.  So this is okay.

3. You can open the pdf that you send to her.  So this is okay.

4. She CAN NOT open the pdf that she sends to you. So this is the problem

D

• 6. Re: Very important for me , Please help me...
                    camelCasing

my problem is not about an email, the problem is File maker is not open pdf document itself on Mac OS

• 7. Re: Very important for me , Please help me...
                      dumiya

cC

<<my problem is not about an email, the problem is File maker is not open pdf document itself on Mac OS>>

What Mac is she using,

What is the OS version

What version of Filemaker does she have,

What version of Adobe Reader does she have.

Filemaker will not open the pdf.

I just tried open a Test.pdf with filemaker 11 and it converts it into nonsense. 

1. Does the pdf she has made become an icon on her desk top?  If not,  Where does its icon  go and what does it look like?

2. Can she open a pdf file created by another program?  (MSWord?)

3. Can she open the pdf  with Acrobat Reader or OS Preview?

I am not sure how you are opening a pdf with filemaker on a PC.

If this is not helpful I am sorry, but I need to narrow the question

D

• 8. Re: Very important for me , Please help me...
                        philmodjunk

There are two storage options for a container field. Store the actual document or store a reference to the document. Which are you using?

If you store by reference and then send the database file to another user, you haven't actually sent them the PDF file--just a container field that stores a file path to a document stored on your computer which then isn't accessible to the other user.

Make sure you use Insert File and do not select the store by reference option and they should be able to open and view the PDF file if they have acrobat reader installed on their computer.

• 9. Re: Very important for me , Please help me...
                          cuitw_1
                          PhilModJunk has probably answered your question. You can actually use the insert file script step and the get file path function to re-insert files (not to check "store only a reference" this time).
                          • 10. Re: Very important for me , Please help me...
                            philmodjunk

cuitw wrote:
                            PhilModJunk has probably answered your question. You can actually use the insert file script step and the get file path function to re-insert files (not to check "store only a reference" this time).

Well yes, if they were pictures, but these are PDF's. If you need to do this for a mass of records, it might be worth installing a plug in such as the Moo Plug (Free, but windows only) and writing a script to do this.