4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 12:40 PM by philmodjunk

Very long layouts

RonJennings

Title

Very long layouts & photos (thumbnails)

As mentioned in previous questions I've asked, I'm very new to Filemaker development so forgive anything here that seems simplistic or ignorant and feel free to say "RTFM" provided you at least give me the approproate page/section to refer to!  ;)  

We're converting several safety audits from paper to electronic.  The plan is to for the audits to be done on iPads using Filemaker Go.  The audits range from 30 questions to around 100 with a desire to take up to 6 photos for any question/item that fails (so yeah, there will be Questions X 6 container fields in the layput).  I'm working in FMP12 which has the handy layout aid that shows the screen size for iPads but needless to say there is no way to fit all the questions on the screen at the same time.  

If by chance anyone is familier with the product iAuditor, that is what we have started them using and it has a purchaseable CSV export option that wraps the responses and any photos taken into a zip file.  While importing the CSV values could probably be scripted fairly nicely, scripting the photo import looks to be too much of a challenge for the project timeline (hence the decision to develop a Filemaker front-end/auditing tool).

My first challenge/question is how do I modify a layout to accomidate the raw (verticle) length needed for all the questions and the associated container fields for the photos?

Second, by default,  I would like the container fields to show thumbnails of the pics that are either taken with the camera in the iPad or dropped in from a picture that is on their desktop  The photos themselves should be embedded in the database, not linked/referenced to an external file.  But if they should click on a photo while looking at the database via FIlemaker Go or the Filemaker desktop client, it should show them the full size image.  Additionally, when they go to close the full size image, it would be great if they were given the option to Delete the photo or Keep it with the default being to Keep.

Input/guidance on this?

Thanks In Advance!

Ron

• 1. Re: Very long layouts & photos (thumbnails)
          philmodjunk

If your layout is larger than the iPad screen, you should be able to scroll the window to see the rest of the layout.

But I suggest taking a careful look at the structure of your database. Each audit question can be a separate record in a table of such questions. To present the auditor with the next question can then be as simple as bringing up the next record in that table. The responses would likely be recorded in separate records as well and in a related table so that the same set of audit questions can be brought up and answered over and over again for different audits and auditors.

The same is true for your pictures. If you put one container field for a picture in a single record, but then link a table of records to the question records to which they relate, you can not only record 0 to 6 pictures, you can record any number of pictures and the layout need not display more than one picture at a time.

I recommend taking a look at this link. It describes setting up a survey in FileMaker and an audit is really just a special kind of survey so it should provide some good ideas for how to set this up.

Need aid on generating a report from a survey layout.

• 2. Re: Very long layouts & photos (thumbnails)
            RonJennings

Phil,

Thanks for the response :)    It looks like you intended to include a link but I don't think it came through.

A structure like what you describe sounds pretty good and may be explored down the road but right now the desire is something "quick and dirty" that gets them a usable Filemaker front end. 

• 3. Re: Very long layouts & photos (thumbnails)
              RonJennings

NM

The link came up on a refresh.

• 4. Re: Very long layouts & photos (thumbnails)
                philmodjunk

Look at my past post again. It's there. I forgot to include it when I posted the message, but then edited the message to add the link a few minutes later. If you read the post in your email, it would not have included that message and if you were really fast to respond directly to the forum, you might have missed it then as well.

A structure like what you describe sounds pretty good and may be explored down the road but right now the desire is something "quick and dirty" that gets them a usable Filemaker front end.

yes but what you describe will be anything but quick and extremely "dirty".