3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2010 12:42 AM by matronryan

Very simple but stupid q about checkboxs

matronryan

Title

Very simple but stupid q about checkboxs

I'm brand new to file maker and love it.  I just want to insert a single checkbox to determine that a related record is the current one in a list of addresses.  Apologies for this very smiple question but I cannot figure out how to do it

Thanks 

• 1. Re: Very simple but stupid q about checkboxs
          LaRetta_1

You have a Contacts table with ContactID and an Addresses table with a ContactID and an AddressID, and they are currently related by ContactID, giving you a list of related addresses for the current Contact.  And you want to select an Address (probably from the address portal on the Contact record) and specify that it is the default (current) address?

There are a few ways to do this.  Many people would just put a flag field called PrimaryAddress in Addresses with a 1 in it.  Some people might put a PrimaryAddressID in the Addresses table and insert the AddressID again in it.  I would instead place a PrimaryAddress field in Contacts and join that to a new Addresses table occurrence called PrimaryAddress:

Contacts::primaryAddressID = PrimaryAddress::AddressID

Your primary address for this contact is now always available.  For selection, attach a button in your Addresses portal with:

Set Field [ Contacts::primaryAddressID ; Addresses::AddressID ]

To identify your current primary address in your portal of addresses, you can attach conditional formatting (example, yellow fill) to the fields with:

addresses::AddressID = Contcts::primary

UPDATE: Well I don't know how to stop that :P issue through the post.  It should be a colon and capital 'P'.   If anyone knows how to fix it, I would like to know - it makes it difficult to read.

• 2. Re: Very simple but stupid q about checkboxs
            raybaudi

LaRetta wrote:

UPDATE: Well I don't know how to stop that :P issue through the post.  It should be a colon and capital 'P'.   If anyone knows how to fix it, I would like to know

I usually put a space between the last colon and the next capital letter. ( whichever it is )
            • 3. Re: Very simple but stupid q about checkboxs
              matronryan

thank you very much