4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2013 9:10 AM by jackien

Video can't be found - database on multiple computers

jackien

Title

Video can't be found - database on multiple computers

I have copies of my database on a few other computers in the office. I have one test video currently in the database, but whenever I put the database onto another computer, it says it cannot find the video file.

Seems silly that all the pictures can be viewed just fine on other computers, but not the video. Even sillier that I would need to have copies of the video files on every computer as that seems very impractical.

• 1. Re: Video can't be found - database on multiple computers
          philmodjunk

And where is the video file located? Is it accessible from the other computers by being placed in a shared directory?

Is the file path to that file (Which is what is actually stored in the container field) the same on every computer?

Are you using FileMaker 12 or an earlier version?

If using FIleMaker 12, have you tried using external storage for your container field?

• 2. Re: Video can't be found - database on multiple computers
            jackien

On my computer the video is located in the documents folder, not accessible to the other computers.

I am using FMP 12. I just implemented the external storage for the container field, and have the Files folder which stored all my images.

I can't even open the file anymore, I Just get an hourglass. I think the Database might be too big to adequately handle external storage. 

• 3. Re: Video can't be found - database on multiple computers
              philmodjunk

On my computer the video is located in the documents folder, not accessible to the other computers.

And that would explain why the video file cannot be found as this folder is not normally accessible to other computers over the network and if you do share that folder, the other computers are unlikely to have the same exact file path as that used with the copy on your own computer.

If you moved that file to a shared directory on a server, you could insert that file from that location into your container field. Then each computer that uses this database would need to map to that directory in exactly the same fashion.

• 4. Re: Video can't be found - database on multiple computers
                jackien

From another problem I was having, I figured out that the container I was using for the video/images was damaged. I made a new container and was able to copy the database to another computer and had no problems viewing it.