1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 9:03 AM by philmodjunk

View (and parse, edit, concatenate, etc.) all related records from Table B in a layout for Table A

JoshAt

Title

View (and parse, edit, concatenate, etc.) all related records from Table B in a layout for Table A

Hi, I'm brand new to FMP, so please forgive me if this is dumb (I know the community guidelines and rules said there are no dumb questions, but I still would feel dumb if there is a super easy answer to this question)!

What I have is two related tables, via an ID.  Table A is the main record I want to view, one at a time.  But via that ID, I pull Table B's records in to a portal.  I actually want to create a text field (or a field?) that does something like the following...

x=0

while x < TableB's total number of items for the given ID

{

Display TableB.Name

x++

}

Hopefully my pseudocode makes sense.

I eventually want to be able to put code around it like: "<b>" & Display TableB.Name & "</b>"

The end result (I think) is for me to have a big field that builds an entire set of code that I can click in, copy and paste in to a file external to FMP.

I found this article that maybe more descriptively relates to what I'm trying to do.

They have a Menu table and an Order table and they're related.

I want to be able to call up (for example, from their example) a dessert layout page and see all available desserts.  I want to count them.  I want to be able to loop through them all for various reasons (if possible) and I want to be able to add things to them.

I hope this helps explain everything in enough detail :)

Thanks in advance!

(I have access to FMP 8 on a Mac and FMP 11 on a PC. The PC has the main FMP database file. I just use the Mac to learn some basic FMP stuff that seems to be in both version.)

1 2 Previous Next