3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 2:46 PM by TenaciousG3

View a picture in a container larger?

TenaciousG3

Title

View a picture in a container larger?

Hello folks,

I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to Filemaker, so please go easy on me! I searched for an answer before asking this question and did not find a solution, so hopefully someone can assist me.

I've created a database for animation artwork tracking using FMP 10 Advanced on OSX 10.5.8.  In one of my layouts I have eight containers each displaying a small thumbnail of "rough" versions of the final artwork (so we can track the progress of the design).  The images are farily small and a little tough to view, but for space reasons I needed to make them small.  What I want to know is, is there a way of clicking on the small thumbnails in the "rough" containers and having Filemaker display a larger version of the placed picture?  I don't want to have to export the file every time in order to view it, and I also tried setting up another layout with a larger container of the same image and pointing the button to that using a script, and it didn't work properly.  What would be great is if it could just pop open a new window with a larger view of that one image.  Is that even possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance :)

• 1. Re: View a picture in a container larger?
          Steve Wright

"I also tried setting up another layout with a larger container of the same image and pointing the button to that using a script, and it didn't work properly. "

This is what I would suggest, I use this method myself in my solution.

I show the images initially in a portal, then use Go to Related Record, to navigate to a new 'preview' layout showing the image as large as possible, This layout also allows prev / next navigation of the related images.

What do you mean when you say it didn't work properly ?

• 2. Re: View a picture in a container larger?
            TenaciousG3

Thanks for your response SW.

What I mean by it "didn't work properly" is that after I set up the layout, when I viewed it in layout mode and with only one record in browse mode it worked fine, but as soon as I had more than one record the image disappeared and I couldn't see any of the records either. (perhaps I did something wrong in the setup) I didn't use a portal though - I just made the container with the picture in it a button and pointed it to the other layout. I'm fairly new to FMP, not completely familiar with all the neat tricks and stuff yet.

• 3. Re: View a picture in a container larger?
              TenaciousG3

I got it to work - Did what you said, just created a new layout with the image larger and this time it worked.  Must have been something wonky I did.  Thanks for the advice!