11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2009 12:16 PM by TSGal

view container image from IWP

applezpiez

Title

view container image from IWP

Hi, I am using FM Pro 7 and i am storing a .pdf (as a reference) onto a container field, but i am not able to see anything when i published it to the IWP. My web users also not able to click and view the .pdf file.. 

Please help!!!

thanks in advance!

regards,

applez

• 1. Re: view container image from IWP
          TSGal

applepiez:

Thank you for your post.

If you have it stored as a reference, then the full path name is stored in the file.  Make sure the users have access to that same file reference.  For example, if the file is stored on a server, make sure the users have the server accessible on their machine.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: view container image from IWP
            applezpiez

Thanks TSGal,

I had stored my .pdf in the file server.

What should i do, so that my web users can click and view the .pdf file?

I try use OpenURL, but it doesnt seems to work? I am using FM Pro 7 only.

Please advise!!

regards,

applepiez

• 3. Re: view container image from IWP
              TSGal

applepiez:

Thank you for the clarification.

From the "FileMaker Pro 7 Instant Web Publishing Guide" that ships with FileMaker Pro 7...

"Images can either be stored inside the database itself or, for best performance, stored as file reference using a relative path.  If you're hosting the database with FileMaker Pro, referenced image and movie files must be stored in the Web folder, in the FileMaker Pro folder."

However, I have had success of having the PDF file on a server, and have everyone logged onto that server.  Here is one example....

I originally placed an image on my iDisk public folder.  I then closed my public folder, and opened up another users public folder (even if it was my own).  When I went to my container field, I pulled down the Insert menu and selected the other users public folder and inserted the picture.

If I go to another machine and load another users public folder onto the desktop, opened the database file, I was able to see the image without a problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

Images can either be stored inside the database itself or, for best performance, stored as file reference using a relative path. If you’re hosting the database with FileMaker Pro, referenced image and movie files must be stored in the Web folder, in the FileMaker Pro folder.  

• 4. Re: view container image from IWP
                applezpiez

Thanks TSGal :smileyhappy:

If i stored it as file reference, i am able to see the .pdf icon inside the container field in the FM Pro 7 and when i click the container field, i am able to open and view the .pdf file.

But when i published it to IWP, the container field is empty. What must i do so that my web users are able to view the image (which was stored as file reference) in the container field from web? (i need it to be the same as what i see in FM Pro 7)

Please advise :smileysad:

Thanks in advance!

regards, 

applepiez

• 5. Re: view container image from IWP
                  TSGal

applepiez:

Do you have the PDF file in your Web folder?  This is how it works in the current version, and the instructions are the same for FileMaker Pro 7 (as explained above).  Make sure you insert using the reference in the Web folder.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: view container image from IWP
                    applezpiez

Hi TSGal,

yesh. I had created a web folder called Test and have the PDF file inside the web folder and i am able to view it in IE (http://<localhost>/test/abc.pdf)

But when i insert the .pdf into the container field (stored as reference), i cannot see anything from the IWP.

if i insert the .pdf file into the container field (uncheck stored as reference), i can see a abc.pdf hyperlink on the IWP.

is there anythin i had missed out?? do u hv an example to show mi??

please advise..... :smileysad:

thanks thanks!!

• 7. Re: view container image from IWP
                      TSGal

applepiez:

I don't have FileMaker Pro 7, so I have to rely on the documentation and my experience with FileMaker Pro 8.5, 9 and 10 on my machine.

Here is an example I just created:

1. I created a database file with two fields:

Text (Text)

Container (Container)

2. In the first record, I entered into the Text field "Direct"

3. I put my cursor in the Container field, selected Insert Picture and imported directly.

4. In the second record, I entered into the Text field "Reference - Desktop".

5. I put my cursor in the Container field, selected Insert Picture, checked the option "Store only a reference to the file" and selected the image from the Desktop

6. I duplicated the image and placed it into the FileMaker Web folder.

7. In the third record, I entered in the Text field "Reference - Web" 

8. I put my cursor in the Container field, selected Insert Picture, checked the option "Store only a reference to the file" and selected the image from the Web Folder.

9. I turn on Instant Web Publishing and allow access to all users.

10. I go to another machine, launch a browser, and entered the IP address of the machine where FileMaker is hosting the file.

11. I select the file from the Instant Web Publishing menu.

12. In the first record, I see the image.  In the second record, I do not see the image (cannot reference the Desktop).  In the third record, I see the image (since it is in the Web folder). 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: view container image from IWP
                        applezpiez

Thanks TSGal,

I know where had gone wrong, must put the web folder in FM Pro 7, initially i had it

under wwwroot ;p

But the thing is my database is stored at FM Server 7, there is no FM Pro 7 installed on it.

I would very much appreciate if you could advise me where can i put my web folder under FM Server 7.

Thanks in advance!

regards,

applepiez

• 9. Re: view container image from IWP
                          obeechi
                             Where do you find this File Maker web folder?
                          • 10. Re: view container image from IWP
                            TSGal

applepiez:

For FileMaker Server 7, copy or move the Web folder to the same relative path location in the root folder of the web server software.  For IIS, move the files to:

<root drive>/Documents

For Apache, move the files to:

/Library/WebServer/Documents

Make sure your web server is configured to support the MIME types for the kinds of files you want to serve, such as movies.  For more information, check the documentation for your web server.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: view container image from IWP
                              TSGal

obeechi:

Thank you for your post.

If you are using FileMaker Pro, go to the folder where FileMaker Pro was installed.  In that folder, you will see a folder entitled "Web".

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.