7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 2:43 PM by philmodjunk

view larger image from thumbnail

barriec7

Title

view larger image from thumbnail

i'm getting fairly familiar with container fields for serving photography. am using getThumbnail to generate thumbnails of images. The headscratcher part is I would like to (automatically) allow user to view the full image via clicking.

here's the story:

a. user uploads image from iPad. check.
      b. image is served as thumbnail through Filemaker. check. 

next step:

How does the user then view the original, larger, file? if they have a selection of 10 thumbnails and want to focus on one, how do I get them there via a click...

• 1. Re: view larger image from thumbnail
          philmodjunk

Each image should be inserted into a container field of a different record. A second container field can store the thumbnail though there might be a reason to use a different table in some cases (such as if you need more than one thumbnail for a given image).

You can set up your layout so that a mouse click on the thumbnail file either takes the user to a layout that shows the original image in a large format container field--possibly opened in its own window or opens the file with the default application specified by your operating system for that file type.

If you use the large format container field option, you might not need your button's script to do anything but change layouts, or possibly open a new window and then change layouts.

Opening the file in the default application can be done with Export Field Contents.

• 2. Re: view larger image from thumbnail
            barriec7

i understand your answer...the one area of concern is here:  "each image should be inserted into a container field of a different record." -

the user only uploads the image once, thus i'm assuming it is possible to write a script that is script-triggered that would write different image sizes to the different fields you reference...

• 3. Re: view larger image from thumbnail
              barriec7

on the way. used script trigger OnObjectExit to copy image from right (thumbnail) into field on left (original). this example shows script (copy, paste) with both fields on same layout as my only objective was to load an image once and have it appear as both a thumbnail and a larger size.

• 4. Re: view larger image from thumbnail
                philmodjunk

If you read my post again, I described keeping the thumbnail and larger image in the same record as the original. I suggested that there might be reasons to do it differently but made no recommendation either way.

What I was trying to suggest with my statement about one image to a record is that you would set up your table to have one Original image to a record. So if you take a picture of 10 items, you'd have 10 records, one for each item. within that record, you might very well have a container field for the image and one for the thumbnail.

• 5. Re: view larger image from thumbnail
                  barriec7

what i interpreted from your original response was there would be a record for the thumbnail and a record for the original, preferably in the same table unless for example there were multiple thumbnails. i am not familiar with the term 'large container field' and cannot find documentation on it.

"Each image should be inserted into a container field of a different record. A second container field can store the thumbnail though there might be a reason to use a different table..."

Please clarify as i am reading two completely things from your two posts with regards to whether a thumbnail needs its own field. I do see under File>Options>Container Fields there is the option to generate thumbnails, but then I'm not certain how to call them.

• 6. Re: view larger image from thumbnail
                    barriec7

okay...after all of that i get it now (by 'all of that' i mean my lack of understanding). 

i just have a picture in a field. on first layout, make the box small. on the second layout, make the box big. when user goes from one to other, the photo is resized automatically.

• 7. Re: view larger image from thumbnail
                      philmodjunk

No worries, I was just making sure that we steered clear of a common newbie mistake of adding more fields where they should be adding more records.