6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2009 5:00 PM by annglas

viewing all portal records in a table or report

annglas

Title

viewing all portal records in a table or report

I want to create a purchase order form where I enter up to 11 records in one view. I did this with repeating fields and it works. But I cannot create a report wherein each record can be sorted and viewed individually. 

I tried making another table with a portal to display the records of the purchase order and it does that very well. But when I go to table view or make a new report, and only the first record appears in the table.

So my question is: how do I enter multiple records on one layout page so that I can view and sort them in a myriad of ways (eg: by acct#, subcode, category, PO#, etc).

Thank you,

Ann G.

• 1. Re: viewing all portal records in a table or report
          Orlando

Hi Ann

Welcome to the forum

Base the Table Occurrence of the report layout to the new table, this will give you the ability to list and sort as required, and to display the records for a particular report use the Go To Related script step and set it to 'Show only related records' and 'Match current record only'

You could then place fields from the purchase order table in the header of that report layout.

Let me know if this is what your looking for and i anything needs more explaining.

• 2. Re: viewing all portal records in a table or report
            annglas

Thank you for this. I did create the script you mentioned above but the layout is still only showing the very first entry in my portal, or in my repeating fields.  Actually, my portal also has repeating fields.Should I not be using repeating fields? 

I'm trying to enter up to 11 records (qty, product, price) on one Purchase Order layout. I'm doing so using repeating fields. Then I want to sort those records from all purchase orders in many ways using a report. But every way I try it, I only see the very first product entered/record on the PO, not the other 10. I can see all the records using a portal, but again, when I try to make a report based on the portal, I only see the first record, even after using the script above.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you very much,

Ann

• 3. Re: viewing all portal records in a table or report
              TSGal

annglas:

A repeating field is one field that has many values.  Sorting in FileMaker Pro sorts records; not repeating values.  Therefore, you should consider moving these repeating values into separate records, and put those records in a related table.

One of the options of importing from a FileMaker Pro file is to split the repeated values into separate records, so create a new table with the fields you want (Qty, Product, Price, InvoiceID) and import from your main table, splitting the values into separate records.  You can then relate the two tables together through "Manage Database" and clicking on the Relationships tab.

If you have difficulty setting this up, let me know, and I'll walk you through it.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: viewing all portal records in a table or report
                annglas

Oh, I hope this works. Please do tell me how to split the repeating values into separate records. Do I use lookup or how do I do that?

Thank you very much,

Ann

• 5. Re: viewing all portal records in a table or report
                  TSGal

annglas:

Follow these steps.

1. Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database..." 

2. Click on the Tables tab.

3. Near the bottom right corner, click "Import..."

4. Select the same database file, and click "Open"

5. Put a check mark next to the original table that you want to import and click "OK"

6. A dialog box shows that there may be a conflict, but just click OK, and you will see a duplicate of your table followed by "2".

7. Rename the table to your liking and click "Change" 

8. Click "OK" to return to your original layout.

9. Switch to the last Layout.  Your new table will be listed.

10. Pull down the File menu and select "Import Records -> File..."

11. Select the same database file and click "Open".

12. At the top of the next dialog box, next to "Source:", there is a pop-up field.  Select the original table.

13. Arrange by "Matching items"

14. Click Import.

15. This is where the option is to split the repeating values into separate records.  Select this option and click "Import"

That's it!

You can now decide the fields you want to keep in this table.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: viewing all portal records in a table or report
                    annglas

Thank you very much. I'll try this.

Ann