3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 6:26 PM by DerekPopovich

Viewing charts in runtime environment.

DerekPopovich

Title

Viewing charts in runtime environment.

Hi, 

Does anyone knows if Filemaker is planning to make the charts available in runtime environment?

I know they work on the Filemaker GO for iPhone and iPad and it will be a great help if it was available on runtime.

Sincerely, DPP

• 1. Re: Viewing charts in runtime environment.
          schamblee

I haven't heard anything about filemaker adding charts to runtime.   A runtime is to be used when a user doesn't have filemaker and is limited compared to the full version of filemaker.  Charts and Save-As-PDF are not supported in runtime.  

• 2. Re: Viewing charts in runtime environment.
            philmodjunk

FileMaker does not announce in advance what features will be part of a future release of their product.

There are alternatives to a chart object that can be used to chart data though they are options that are not as simple to implement.

We did crude barcharts in FileMaker with layout objects long before there were Filemaker Chart Objects.

Charting can be done with Java Script in a WebViewer

And I wouldn't be surprised if there were some charting plug ins that could be used.

• 3. Re: Viewing charts in runtime environment.
              DerekPopovich

Hello and thank you. 

A runtime is to be used when a user doesn't have filemaker and is limited compared to the full version of filemaker. 

It is understood, but for me as a developer charts should be part of the runtime. When people look at a chart, they get a concept within seconds, looking at the same data in a report takes a lot longer.

Hi Phil,

I have seen quite a few samples of charts, the only reservation is having to re-design all my layouts and generate over 100 charts not to mention the learning curve using Java etc, to make the charts display exactly what i want.

Not a big deal just time consuming.

I have search for charting plug-ins but based on the examples I have seen the charts are not as good (This is based on my opinion only), I do charts analysis for the company I work for and having clear and feature reach charts helps when it comes to reading and interpreting the data.

I have seen a sample project of someone using FusionCharts plug-in for Filemaker and it was very good, but the website stated "We have discontinued the FusionCharts for FileMaker extension from August 7, 2013".

Thank you again for the information.

Sincerely. DPP