3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2009 12:22 PM by TSGal

Viewing embedded container PDF in webviewer with Instant web publishing

user21370

Title

Viewing embedded container PDF in webviewer with Instant web publishing

The subject of this post is my question in short. So I have a database which has a container with embedded PDF documents what I want to show in webviewer. I've tested this in Filemaker and it works. But when I want to view this page online with IWP the PDF doesn't show.

I've read somewhere that it only works if the PDF isn't embedded and is on an location what's online accessible.

Filemaker can do everything! So please tell me that it's possible!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Viewing embedded container PDF in webviewer with Instant web publishing
          TSGal

Hans Rein:

Thank you for your post.

When using Instant Web Publishing, all referenced image and movie files must be stored in the Web folder, inside the FileMaker Pro folder.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Viewing embedded container PDF in webviewer with Instant web publishing
            user21370

Thank you for the reaction. So it isn't possible to view the embedded directly in the webviewer. First of it has to be exported to the webfolder. Am I right?

Thank you! 

• 3. Re: Viewing embedded container PDF in webviewer with Instant web publishing
              TSGal

Hans Rein:

I apologize for not reading your post carefully.

To display the information in a web viewer, you must give the full path name.  For example, on a Macintosh, assuming your hard drive is named "Macintosh HD" and the PDF file, Test.pdf, is located inside the Web folder, the web viewer would be:

file:///Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/FileMaker Pro 10/Web/Test.pdf

This is for a static address.

For a dynamic address, you will need to reference the table and container field.  Assuming the table is named "Test", and the reference is stored in a container field named "Container", the calculation for the webviewer could be:

Let (

[ a= GetValue ( Test::Container ; 3 ) ] ;

"file:///Volumes" & Right ( a ; Length (a) - 9 )

)

(This is for a Macintosh computer).

Now, this is all fine for a local copy, but it would not be accessible over the web.  Instead, each person would need to mount a shared drive prior to viewing so that the reference can be found.

For example, you may have a .Mac (.me) account.  Have everyone load the shared public folder and set the reference to it.

If you don't want to use web viewer, then you can still view the PDF when stored as a reference when the file is stored in the Web folder when using Instant Web Publishing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.