2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 12:28 PM by bkeenfm41

Viewing PDF in container fields on Windows

allexv

Title

Viewing PDF in container fields on Windows

Hello, all.

I know this should be fairly simple, but I can't get PDF files to display in container fields on my Windows machines. Macs are no problems. I have scoured the Internet for some guidance and I see some have tried using the webviewer to display the referenced PDF files. However, this is not ideal as it loads slower than a container field and the scale is way off. It also adds Acrobat Reader's tools to the frame even when told not to be interactive.

If the webviewer is my only solution short of a paid plug-in, how can I get the PDF file to scale to fit the dimensions of the webviewer and just show the page without the tools and/or buttons?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Allex

• 1. Re: Viewing PDF in container fields on Windows
          philmodjunk

If you are using FileMaker 11 or older, you can't view the PDF from the container field on a windows machine. You can, however, use a webviewer to open and view the contents of the PDF file and it's URL calculation can extract the filepath needed from a container field where the file was inserted with "store a reference" enabled.

If you are using FileMaker 12, you can use Insert PDF to insert a viewable PDF, but you must first select the container field while in layout mode and use data formatting to optimize the field for interactive content.

• 2. Re: Viewing PDF in container fields on Windows
            bkeenfm41

I am having difficulty with PDF files in container fields. I formatted the container field to optimize the field for interactive content. When I insert PDF file, the file will not open. I copied and pasted the PDF file and it opens when I go to next record or previous record. It does not allow me to edit the record fields before it opens the PDF. I appreciate any suggestions or thoughts.