5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2012 2:48 PM by KarenBovenmyer

Viewing pictures in a container field while in Browse mode on PC

cmmoody@gmail.com

Title

Viewing pictures in a container field while in Browse mode on PC

We are using Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.  We created our file on a Mac.  The file contains a couple of tables.  In related tables, one of the tables contains a relational field and a container field which is holding a picture file (.jpg).  Viewing the container field on the Mac in the browse mode, or preview mode the picture is visible.

If we load the file onto a PC, viewing the container field in browse mode we get a message in the field contents which states "Quicktime and decompressor needed to read this picture". In preview mode the picture appears normal, no error message.  Quicktime and decompressor applications are loaded on the PC. 

Is there something we are missing in the field parameters in Filemaker?  Or do your have a specific decompresser application in which FIlemaker would prefer?

Thanks for your assistance,

• 1. Re: Viewing pictures in a container field while in Browse mode on PC
          TSGal

cmmoody:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, I cannot determine if it is a FileMaker Pro issue, OS issue or JPEG issue.

From where did the JPEG file originate?  Does it display properly in a Browser?

Try taking the JPEG file to the Windows machine.  Double-click the JPEG file.  What is the default application to open it?  Does it display locally via a Browser?  If so, then open FileMaker Pro on Windows and try Insert Picture.  Does it now show correctly?

Answers to each of these questions will help me narrow down some possibilities.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Viewing pictures in a container field while in Browse mode on PC
            cmmoody@gmail.com

TSGal -

Q1. From where did the jpeg file originate? Ans. Originals came from camera, cropped and color basis changed to black/white to accommodate both view and file size reduction.

Q2. Does it display properly in a Browser? Ans. Yes.

Q3. Try taking the jpeg file to the Windows machine [Parallels]. What is the default application to open it? Ans. Windows Pictures & Fax Viewer.

Q4. Does it display locally via a Browser? [Outlook Express6] Ans. Yes.

Q5. If so, then open FileMaker Pro on Windows and try Insert Picture. Does it now show correctly? Ans. Yes.

Review. The FM file was developed and originated in MacOSX and was transferred to WindowsXP/Parallels to accommodate PC users of the FM database. The related Pictures table displays 'Quicktime and decompressor needed to read this picture' in Browse mode. Pictures in record display OK in Preview mode.

Attempted to import entire picture file into the Windows related picture table. although all records imported, only three pictures displayed. These three pictures were different. I had standardized all the rest at 1.25x1.54 inches at 72 pixels/inch resolution. These three were very high resolution 6-900 pixels/inch with extremely fractional inches width and height. I preciously could not standardize these three pictures as the display quality was unacceptable.

Carlo Pedron

• 3. Re: Viewing pictures in a container field while in Browse mode on PC
              cindyy

We are having the same issue.

I am using Windows XP.  The image in the container field originated from a mac.  I was able to export the field contents and it exported a file called untitled.pct. 

• 4. Re: Viewing pictures in a container field while in Browse mode on PC
                KarenBovenmyer

I've had the same issue, Windows 7, Filemaker Pro 11. The original database was made on a Mac. My boss saved it to the server for me, and I opened it with my PC. I can export the image and see it (untitled.pct) but Filemaker Pro doesn't display it in the form. Is there a fix yet?

• 5. Re: Viewing pictures in a container field while in Browse mode on PC
                  KarenBovenmyer

Filemaker Pro 12 has resolved this issue for me! I can see all the images.