Viewing records as a list

earthimag

Title

Viewing records as a list

The version of FileMaker Pro you are using. - 8.5

The operating system and version you are using Mac OS 10.5.8

I am the ultimate beginner

datasbase not being shared over a network

I have about 10,000 records in my current database.  They open up each in their own record containing their individual information fields.  It is organized and very helpful when I am focusing on an individual record.  At times I would like to zoom out and look at multiple records at one time..  Sort of like on an Excel Spread sheet.  A table of data in rows and columns... This would make it much easier to make global changes and to see patterns etc.

Is this possible?  How?  Please walk me through step by step.

Thanks so much in advance.

3. Describe as much detail about your database as is pertinent to your question.  Otherwise, other forum participants will have to guess and/or ask for more information.

4. Give examples of what you are trying to accomplish, but can't.  For example, how you want a report to list information, what related information is not showing, etc.  This can really help the responder(s) when they suggest a solution.

6. Please indicate whether your database file is being shared over a network,

• 1. Re: Viewing records as a list
          Bonnerbl

Go to the FileMaker toll bar and in the VIEW drop down you will see "View as a Table".  That is probably what you want. You can then shrink or expand the columns as you see fit to hide fields you don't want to see.

• 2. Re: Viewing records as a list
            earthimag

Okay, I was feeling really stupid.  But then I realized that my options "view as list" and "view as table" are ghosted.  I cannot seem to get them to "unghost",  The only option available to me is "view as form".  Please make me feel really stupid again with a really amazingly simple solution to this frustrating problem.  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Viewing records as a list
              FentonJones

Another little addition. On a "table view" layout, which is being used regularly, I make a couple of changes to the options for table view. 

Layout mode, Layout Setup, then the Views tab. For the Table view, there "Properties", several settings.

I like to lighten the color of the lines quite a bit, so its more readable. I also click [x] Include header part.

(I also change the Body part to alternate, white & lighest grey; helps for wide views.) 

Then you can put buttons in a regular Header part, for navigation, and whatever you want. You could hide the FileMaker Toolbar at that point, if you wish, after putting all buttons needed on the header.

[P.S. Go into Layout Set-up to fix the "layout views are greyed out" problem. It is the Views tab dialog. If they are not checked, they will be greyed out.]

• 4. Re: Viewing records as a list
                Bonnerbl

Get yourself in View - Layout Mode. Then go to the LAYOUTS - Layout Setup. On the next screen you will see various options for the layout. Im using FM11 and there is a tab called Views. Select it. You will then see three possible ways to view your layout. Make sure that Table View is checked.

• 5. Re: Viewing records as a list
                  earthimag

OMGosh thank you both so so much..  This is perfecto! Thank you thank you thank you thank you:)

I love your extra tips also