2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2009 3:18 PM by daniel.cunnings

Viewing Related Records

daniel.cunnings

Title

Viewing Related Records

I have items in a stock database and on each record I want to show a list of related items from the same database.

I would like to be able to select a stock code to add to this list and have it look up the description and price. I also want to be able to click to go to one of these related items.

What is the best way to do this as I have been struggling so far.

BigD

• 1. Re: Viewing Related Records
          ninja

Howdy BigD,

Thanks for the post, sorry for your struggles.

I have items in a stock database and on each record I want to show a list of related items from the same database.

You would like a portal from one table occurrence into a layout based on another table occurrence.  Portal is the best way to do this.

I would like to be able to select a stock code to add to this list and have it look up the description and price.

You would like to do a find based on a value list of stock codes.  When you get to the found record, related records will be portaled in (see above).  You can put description and price in the portal row if you wish to do so.

I also want to be able to click to go to one of these related items. 

Then you can also put a button on the portal row that performs "Go To Layout".  The layout it goes to would be in "Form View" and would show the record of the portal row you clicked on.  Try it out...it works nicely.

This is what you're after, did I explain it well enough?

• 2. Re: Viewing Related Records
            daniel.cunnings

Hi Ninja,

Thanks for that.

I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

BigD