1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 1, 2011 10:01 AM by philmodjunk

Want to access my filemaker pro access database remotely by only 2 users. Do i need FMP Server?

KorySkolnick

Title

Want to access my filemaker pro access database remotely by only 2 users. Do i need FMP Server?

3 separate issues...

1.   I've been using filemaker pro for my real estate database files and my vacation rental database files all of which are on my laptop. I used to be a filemaker pro developer up until 10 years ago...Lot's of changes since. Anyway, I have filemaker pro advanced now and my real esrtate business  and my vacation rental business is finally growing to the point where i need to hire an assistant and have her accrss my data bases. 

What I think I want to do is have a separate computer at home on my home network loaded with filemaker pro and have my assistant and myself access it remotely from where ever and do work simultaneously.  Can I do that without buying FMP Server these days?  And if we can't access at the same time, that's acutally ok for right now.  I don't want to buy FMP Server as I don't have a lot of people accessing  the files and it might be $$$ overkill.  What is the most efficient,  cheapest and best solution to this future situation?

But, in the very near future...say 6 months from now....things will change...

2.  I can see adding a contact web page to my real estate web site requesting information and another web page on my vacation rental web site for clients to input their own data online and book their own condos themselves. Priovided they are available of course. And this availability will be a page that will search under that units calander and if available, they can book it themselves. Is this possible now without using FMP Server?

3.    In my vacation Rental Database, i have check in and check out dates for each unit's reservations.  Check in dates and check out dates can be reserved by two different reservations or records. Check out time is 11am, check in time is 3pm...same date!  Anyway, for now I have to keep a separate spreadsheet to have a graphical view of each unit check in date...and check out dates and input them separately and lots of mistakes can be made.  The key is all the dates inbetween the check in and out dates should show as reserved.

Right now I use a spreadsheet (see image one) to visually see what's available and not. Each vacation rental unit has a separate line. At the top of the spreadsheet i have the month and the dates going from 1 to 31 days depending on the month. Each unit is in a row under those dates and i manually block off half the check in date, the dates inbetween and half the check out date.   Does filemaker have something that can automatically do that for me? Unfortunately i've made mistakes entering the data again and it seems like double work.

Keep in mind the check out date and check in date could be tied to two separate reservations or records because check out time for one group on the same day is 11am and a new reservation might check in at 3pm that same day. See what i mean vern?  a check in

DOES FILEMAKER HAVE ANY CALENDAR SOLUTIONS? OR ANY IDEA TO SET UP IN A SCRIPT TO BLOCK OFF THE DATES INBETWEEN THE RENTALS?  I TRIED THE NUMBER OF DAYS FROM THE FIRST OF THE YEAR BUT WITH leap YEARS AND SUCH, I CAN'T GET IT RIGHT.

Any ideas? 

Mahalo and aloha in advance for your advice!

vacation_rental_schedule.jpg

• 1. Re: Want to access my filemaker pro access database remotely by only 2 users. Do i need FMP Server?
          philmodjunk

Responding to 1 and 2:

FileMaker Pro (don't need advanced for this) can host up to 5 simultaneous web connections and up to 9 clients using FileMaker Pro to access a database it hosts. It will be much cheaper, but you give up better data security and support for a larger "user base" should you grow in the future. You can also contract with a FileMaker hosting company who will use their copy of server to host your database so this may be a middle ground between buying and maintaining your own hardware and software. (Server can't be installed on just any machine, so check the specs before you buy it.)

3 is not a simple issue. There are several thread here you can search out that discuss using Filemaker to manage reservation records for rooms or rental equipment. They use a method where you make a single reservation record with two date fields to reserve something for a specified range of dates. Such a single reservation record could be used in a script to create a series of records for each date for display purpoases.

If you are interested, here's a simplified Calendar demo file you can download and examine to see one why you might work with appointments and reservations:  http://www.4shared.com/file/6UAOV_RZ/Calendar.html