3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 9:46 PM by philmodjunk

Want to create a database via file import - but data is in 6 different spreadsheets.

tglatt

Title

Want to create a database via file import - but data is in 6 different spreadsheets.

I want to create a new database in FM Pro 11. I have sets of financial data for a number of financial institutions. One spreadhseet contains contact info such as the institution name, address, etc. Each institution's financial records are spread across other, multiple spreadsheet files, with a unique ID as a key record in each of the spreadsheets that tie the data back to the appropriate financial institution.

In the filemaker database I want to have two tables, one table with contact info, the other with all of the financial data.

What I want to do is import each file containing the financial records so that new fields are added to the financial data table.

Unless I can do something lie this, I fear that I am going to have to manually enter the fields in the database manager.

Any guidance on whether you can add new fields to a database table as you import new files?

• 1. Re: Want to create a database via file import - but data is in 6 different spreadsheets.
          davidanders

Make a copy of the spreadsheets.

Select all the spreadsheets. Drop them on Filemaker Pro Icon.

There will be a database created for each spreadsheet. The fields will be names field01, field02, etc

You can rename the fields.

This will get the data into Filemaker and make it a bit easier to manipulate.

• 2. Re: Want to create a database via file import - but data is in 6 different spreadsheets.
            tglatt

If I do that, then I end up having to copy/paste the database fields from the various tables into one table, correct? This action does not create one database. IS there no way to add fields on import to an existing database? 

• 3. Re: Want to create a database via file import - but data is in 6 different spreadsheets.
              philmodjunk

For the first spread sheet, select Import records and specify "New table" as the target table. This imports the data from the first file and creates a new field for each spreadsheet column imported. You can then import from the other 5 spread sheets and the rows of data will be appended to the records created by the first import. You can then repeat for all your spreadsheet files to get a combined table of all your data.

Fore each subsequent import, this does not add additional fields to the existing table, only additional records. 1 spreadsheet row = 1 filemaker record.

If you want to import data from a 2nd file, but import the data into different fields, you'll need to open Manage | Database | Fields and add the fields manually. You'll also have to import the data with care in order to correctly update your existing records so that data from row 1 in file 2 is used to update the newly added fields in record 1 from the first import.