3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 6:37 PM by sarahs

Warning before being disconnected from FM server's idle timeout feature

nvandenburgh

Title

Warning before being disconnected from FM server's idle timeout feature

I like the idle timeout feature in FileMaker server, but I have some users that take longer to write things or users that walk away before saving what they wrote so I would like to have a script that provides a warning a minute or 2 before they get disconnected.

I'm thinking a script can run to check idle time, but not sure I want the users in a script the whole time either.

Any ideas?

thanks

• 1. Re: Warning before being disconnected from FM server's idle timeout feature
          TSGal

nelson:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, there is no warning message for idle time.  However, you may want to look at the script step "Install OnTimer Script".  This will run a script at a specified interval.  Therefore, create a script, COMMIT, that only has the command:

Commit Records/Requests

Then, as a Startup script, have it execute:

Install OnTimer Script [ "COMMIT" ; Interval: 1800 ]

This way, the COMMIT script will run every 1800 seconds (30 minutes).  Therefore, assuming your idle timeout is set to something greater than 30 minutes, if someone walks away, the data will be saved.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Warning before being disconnected from FM server's idle timeout feature
            sarahs

I've implemented a version of this in our extremely large database solution (over 50 files, thousands of fields per file, hundreds of layouts per file) that commits the record in each file (we want to automatically unlock a record and let another workstation edit it if an idle user locks it for a certain length of time) , but our QA team noticed a huge problem with it. Namely, any user who is currently typing when it is run has the focus removed from their field. So in the middle of typing, the field suddenly loses focus and you have to click it in to start typing again. Incredibly disconcerting for a user...

I've tried recording the currently active field and return them to that field, but it does not return them to the place in the field they were and that could cause huge user input issues. Script triggers tracking how long a field has been edited and the length since the last keystroke would be impossible to implement, due to the sheer number of layouts and fields we have.

Is there any way to link the idle timeout feature on the server to run a script instead? What we would really like to do is have a user idle for x minutes prompted with a warning, then all records committed, and logged out to our internal FM login screen. Any suggestions?

We're on FM 10 in Windows. Some clients will use FM Server 10, some may connect peer to peer.