AnsweredAssumed Answered

Warning idicator when it appears a duplicate entry is being keyed

Question asked by veramilo_1 on Oct 2, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 by veramilo_1

Title

Warning idicator when it appears a duplicate entry is being keyed

I'm setting up a system to track student info for after school program enrollments at multiple schools.  We receive enrollment forms that need to be keyed in, and many students enroll in multiple programs over the course of a year.  I want to keep the user from creating a new student record for a previously enrolled student when they enroll in another program.

I have fields for the student's first name, last name, schoolID#, and DOB as well as their unique studentID#.  When someone completes the first 4 fields on the "new student" screen, I want them to receive a warning if a record already exists with the same info in the first 4 of those fields.  I know it won't account for miskeyed entries, but it will do for now.  Conditional formatting (like red field text) would be sufficient for the warning.

I added a "dupeDetector" field (calculation field that concatenates the first 4 fields) with a self-join thinking that would be the thing to do but I can't figure out where to go from there.

Can someone help me out?

Outcomes