AnsweredAssumed Answered

WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.

Question asked by Oliver on Apr 30, 2010
Latest reply on May 5, 2010 by Oliver

Title

WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.

Using:

FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v1

Running on:

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Background information:

We have a database named "Schools Mailing List.fp7", which we keep on one of our servers and access from several computers within our building via our internal network. The database is maybe 5 or 6 years old, having previously been used and updated in versions of FileMaker going at least as far back as version 8. It has 30 tables, the most important one containing 46,545 records. The database file is just under 0.5 GB in size.

The problem:

I don't know if this is relevant, but I have this week been doing some cleaning up of the values stored in the main table: mostly removing superfluous spaces and return characters. Since it was fairly basic string manipulation on a number of fields at the same time, I thought it would be easiest to use a text editor. I did various exports of the 46,545 records as CSV files, did some string manipulations on them, and then reimported the modified values. I seem to remember that I got an out-of-memory alert at one point, but I sorted that out and reimported the data without anything seeming to go wrong.

While I was examining the data, I noticed that a small number of fields for a small number of records in the table had acquired very peculiar values that had nothing to do with the string manipulations that I was doing. (In one record out of the 46,545, an address field somehow changed counties, and in another record at another time, the postcode changed.)

The database still seems to work perfectly well, but the unexpected values made me wonder if it might have become damaged. So yesterday I made a local copy of the database and ran the "Recover" feature on it. The recovery process ended with the following warning:

"WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.  The recovered file should NOT be used going forward; copy only the most recent work from it into a backup copy of the original file."

"Recover.log" contained this warning and added that there were "5 item(s) modified". (I have appended some excerpts from "Recover.log" below, in case they are helpful.)

Unfortunately, our backup of the database is in the same position: it seems to work perfectly well, but if I "recover" it, the same warning is generated.

The question:

Does this mean that the database is damaged? If so, what problems can I expect to see, and is there anything that I can do about them?

Thank you.

Outcomes