4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2014 8:50 AM by LightningAd

Watch Folders for auto data populating?

LightningAd

Title

Watch Folders for auto data populating?

my database knowledge is extremely limited, so i wanted to ask this question here first..

Is there a way to have FMP watch folders and automatically populate specific data entries based on the filename of new media dropped into the folder?

What i want is to create a product page which uses a specific code number as the unique identifier. Then have the db  watch folders, so that when i drop a file with the same code number into a folder, a link is automatically generated.

I make tv commercials and need to generate various media file types, each named the same except for the filetype extension. I want to store each file type in separate folders, and have the database recognise when new media files are added, and then link to those files?

apologies if the terminolgy is incorrect - databases are really not my area!

I have FMP 12

thanks

Adam

• 1. Re: Watch Folders for auto data populating?
          philmodjunk

Every mac an windows computer has a special folder named "documents". FileMaker has a special Get Function: Get ( DocumentsPathListing ) that will list all files and folders located inside the documents folder. It also has another function called Get ( DocumentsPath ) that returns the file path--a list of information starting with the drive letter(windows) or volumnename( macs ) and then each enclosing folder ending with the documents folder.

Thus, if the folder where you want to monitor the contents is placed inside the documents folder (don't forget that you can make an alias or shortcut to such a folder and place it on your desktop), FileMaker can access the list of files inside this folder to see if any new items were added.

If you got one of several different File manipulation plug ins that are offered by 3rd party developers, FileMaker could use that plug in to check the contents of any folder accessible from your computer.

• 2. Re: Watch Folders for auto data populating?
            LightningAd

thanks Phil...now to start thinking how to create the thing!!

• 3. Re: Watch Folders for auto data populating?
              philmodjunk

You'll want to read up on the text functions, such as FilterValues, GetValue and others that can extract text from a list of items separated by returns and you'll need to decide on whether to work from Documents or use a plug in.

• 4. Re: Watch Folders for auto data populating?
                LightningAd

thanks Phil, at the moment i am scrabbling in the dark trying to find a foothold.

time to get stuck in to the manuals!

adam