4 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2011 1:14 PM by TonyBennett

Web page file download

TonyBennett

Title

Web page file download

Is there a way to write a FM script to login to a web site, navigate to a certain page and activate a file download link?

Thanks,

Tony

• 1. Re: Web page file download
          philmodjunk

Is the Download link always the same?

If so, Copying the URL code from the Dowload link and using it with Open URL might work for this, but haven't tried that one myself... I can see issues occurring with the dialog that then pops up asking you what location on your computer to which to download the file...

• 2. Re: Web page file download
            TonyBennett

Thanks Phil... But the script I hope to create would first navigate to the login page and enter the user name and password.  Then navigate to the page where the file download could be initiated and activate the necessary links on that page to download the file.  If I could just get to this point then handling the download location dialog could be tackled at a later time.

Tony

• 3. Re: Web page file download
              philmodjunk

Much depends on the site you want to access. If you look at Google maps, for example, we can feed it an address and get back a map of that location. This has lots of options for FileMaker because Google publishes the information needed to construct a URL that pushes the address info to the web site in the webviewer's URL.

It's unlikely that the site you want to use would allow that approach as that opens the door to a software controlled "cyber attack" on the site by making numerous automated log in attempts to try to gain unauthorized access.

• 4. Re: Web page file download
                TonyBennett

Thanks,  I'll check with the site to see if they publish that information.