Web Published Database not accessible
I recently began using the contact management starter solution and it was working very nicely. Best of all instant web publishing also worked brilliantly, I simply switched it on and an ip address was automatically generated for the database and accessible by other machines in the office connected to the network.
Now suddenly, the next day nothing is found at this address on any machines except the machine from which I had been using filemaker. (This machine, though the place where filemaker is locally installed is not the location in which the specific database was stored).
Doesn't seem to be a browser issue as I tested on a couple of different browsers on a different machines. Nothing is found at the ip address.