11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2009 9:23 AM by TSGal

Web Publishing

baselineconstruction

Title

Web Publishing

Having trouble with Web Publishing.   I am following all posted instructions regarding Instant web publishing settings  - but I am unable to see my databases from a web browser.   I keep getting safari message which indicates that the server does not exist.

Can anyone help? 

• 1. Re: Web Publishing
          TSGal

saxton23:

Thank you for your post.

1. Open the database file that you want to access with Instant Web Publishing.

2. Pull down the File menu and select "Sharing -> Instant Web Publishing..."

3. Turn on Instant Web Publishing and write down the URL.

4. In the lower half of that screen, select the file on the left side and make sure it is set for All Users.

5. Click OK.

6. Go to the second computer, open a browser, and enter the URL that was written down in step 3 above.  You should now see the database file available to you.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Web Publishing
            baselineconstruction

Right....  those are the instructions I had referred to, that I had already tried.

I also tried adding   :80   to the end of the address -   same error message from Safari.

I tried changing the port to 591  in the    Instant Web Publishing, Advanced window.

Then I added   591 to the end of the web address -    same non-result. 

FYI, I can connect to this computer remotely thru the Apple GO menu.   It is on a static IP address.   So, the computer is accessible.  But, the Filemaker files are not showing up via a web browser.    It seems like I must be over looking some Network or Sharing setting somewhere.   Any thoughts? 

• 3. Re: Web Publishing
              baselineconstruction
                 I got it.    Using the static IP address with the suffix :591
              • 4. Re: Web Publishing
                Tahiti00
                   I am also having the same problem.  The database are not on the filemaker web browser.  We have a server edition and we have five users.  Do I need to change all the users in order to see the databases?
                • 5. Re: Web Publishing
                  TSGal

Tahiti 00:

Thank you for your post.

No.  Just make sure the users are typing the correct IP address of the server to view the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Web Publishing
                    Tahiti00

thanks for your help but I don't have access to the lower half of that screen to select the databases.   That is the problem.  Is there any other format or changes that I am missing?

• 7. Re: Web Publishing
                      TSGal

Tahiti 00:

You should definitely have access to the lower half.  If you are unable to select the file on the left side, then you don't have the correct access privileges.  Once you select the file, the bottom right half should then be accessible.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Web Publishing
                        Tahiti00

Each client has full access so i don't know what else I am doing wrong. 

• 9. Re: Web Publishing
                          TSGal

Tahiti 00:

I've tried this on several machines.  When I turn on Instant Web Publishing, I can select the file and the access allowed for the file.

Please give me more about your system (computer, OS, version of FileMaker Pro, etc.) and I'll try to duplicate it here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Web Publishing
                            Tahiti00

I have version 8.0 and we are using a pc computer.  We also server 8.0 which is our host computer.  Should I be changing something on that end?

• 11. Re: Web Publishing
                              TSGal

Tahiti 00:

I cannot find a copy of version 8.0.  However, even with 8.5 and Server 8.5, even if I don't have full access privileges (but access to most everything), I do have the ability to turn on Instant Web Publishing, and then select the open file and set it to "All Users". You may want to double-check your account privileges.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.