9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2010 7:46 AM by DebraFox

Web Publishing -- HELLLLPPPPP

DebraFox

Title

Web Publishing -- HELLLLPPPPP

I've tried everything I can to make this work.

I actually was able to connect last night.....but today, I keep getting the error that the system is "unable to locate the server."

I tried this once before using my old Filemaker software and the exact same thing happened.  I connected one day and was never able to connect again.

I even tried to open up the port on my router and that didn't make a difference.

I've reviewed every single step on the instructions over and over and over and I give up.  Can anyone help??

When I type in my IP address -- I get this message:

If you can see this, it means that the installation of the Apache web server software on this system was successful. You may now add content to this directory and replace this page.

Seeing this instead of the website you expected?

This page is here because the site administrator has changed the configuration of this web server. Please contact the person responsible for maintaining this server with questions. The Apache Software Foundation, which wrote the web server software this site administrator is using, has nothing to do with maintaining this site and cannot help resolve configuration issues.

The Apache documentation has been included with this distribution.

You are free to use the image below on an Apache-powered web server. Thanks for using Apache!

• 1. Re: Web Publishing -- HELLLLPPPPP
          philmodjunk

Are you attempting to connect to your database from within the same network or from an "external" location?

Does your router have a static IP address from your ISP?

• 2. Re: Web Publishing -- HELLLLPPPPP
            DebraFox

Both

My router does NOT have a static IP however, I'm using the IP address that was provided in Filemaker Sharing.  Is that not the right one?

• 3. Re: Web Publishing -- HELLLLPPPPP
              philmodjunk

It depends on how you are attempting to access the server. If your computer and the server are on the same network, the internal IP address, which can be set up to be static will work.

If you leave the office and attempt to connect to it, you need to access it via the router's IP address and the router must then be set up with portforwarding to pass the connection on to the server.

This is documented in:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fm10_instant_web_publish_en.pdf

• 4. Re: Web Publishing -- HELLLLPPPPP
                DebraFox

Okay -- so just to be clear...

I have someone in St.Louis who needs to accessthis web published database.

He logs onto his internet connection...

And in the Browser - he should type in the ROUTER IP address with the :port# at the end INSTEAD of the computer IP address.

Is that correct?

• 5. Re: Web Publishing -- HELLLLPPPPP
                  DebraFox

I've tried both of your suggestions and I am still unable to connect to the web published server.

I tried to log on using my laptop, internally on the same network using the computer/server IP address and port #.  Says it can't connect to the server.

Tried on laptop again using my datacard (not the same network), using the router IP and port #.  I get this message:
                  Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at #######

I set up the router to port forward to 591 (which was recommended on the Filemaker instructions).

Any suggestions

• 6. Re: Web Publishing -- HELLLLPPPPP
                    davidanders

What is your Internet address?

This is what the internet sees as your internet IP address

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

This address can change depending on your ISP (internet service provider - Comcast, DSL, etc)

This address points to your Cable or DSL Modem and is forwarded to your router (if there is one)

Your router takes the internet IP address and points it to whatever ports you have forwarding set to.

IF you have four computers on your router, AND they are set to get THEIR Local IP Addresses from the router, IF they are using DHCP rather than MANUAL then their Local IP Address CAN change.

Router Local IP Address - 192.168.0.1  (this number will never change, unless YOU change it) (the individual computer's address CAN change, with router replacement, power outages, or computer replacements, UNLESS you use MANUAL IP address)

Computer One - 192.168.0.2

Computer Two - 192.168.0.3

Computer Three - 192.168.0.4 (hosting IWP with Filemaker - at Local IP:PORT  192.168.0.4:591)

Computer Four - 192.168.0.5

The router would have port forwarding set to PORT 591 is forwarded to 192.168.0.4

http://portforward.com/

• 7. Re: Web Publishing -- HELLLLPPPPP
                      DebraFox

WOW -

Okay -- I think I've accounted for all of that.

IP is:  75176.4.2

Router is:  192.168.1.1

Computer hosting Filemaker IWP:  192.168.112

Router port forwardng is set to port 591 and forwarding to 192.168.112

The only thing is that I think it is on DHCP ---

As I said originally -- I was able to access the IWP yesterday and haven't been able to do so since.

So I have frustrated, discouraged and exhausted trying to get what should be a very simple process set up.

Now what???

• 8. Re: Web Publishing -- HELLLLPPPPP
                        davidanders

Can not be 192.168.112   could be 192.168.1.12 or  192.168.1.112

You are saying if you enter '192.168.1.112:591' into a browser it returns what? an error message?

Ping is a function that tests your connection between two IP Addresses

Windows you use a command line and type ping 192.168.1.112

This will return the time four pings take to be returned or will time out.

Sometimes a router needs to be turned off and wait 10 seconds and turn back on.

The Database is hosted on what IP Address?

You are trying to access it from what IP Address?

IP is:  75.176.64.246

Router is:  192.168.1.1

Computer hosting Filemaker IWP:  192.168.112

Router port forwardng is set to port 591 and forwarding to 192.168.112

The only thing is that I think it is on DHCP ---

As I said originally -- I was able to access the IWP yesterday and haven't been able to do so since.

So I have frustrated, discouraged and exhausted trying to get what should be a very simple process set up.

Now what???

• 9. Re: Web Publishing -- HELLLLPPPPP
                          DebraFox

Thank you all so much for your help ---

I finally got it to connect again.  I had to turn on the Filemaker networking feature too.

I never did find that in the instructions --- but tried it just for grins and that did it.  At least that's what I think did it (wink).

I'm going to have my remote person try it today to see if he can get on.