6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2012 1:46 PM by philmodjunk

Web Publishing and Printing

MatthewSpaw

Title

Web Publishing and Printing

Hello,

I have web published a database that was previously not web published.  One of the buttons it had used some print commands in a script that do not work with web publishing.  I was fine with that, but my output is still borderline unusable when I get rid of the print scripts.  The button (as of now, after I got rid of the print functions) searches for records with no "Pickup Date" and displays them.  I need for our waste hauler to be able to go to our web published db and print all the records that have no pick up date. 

If you go to print in say, Firefox, it will print the Filemaker Web Publishing toolbar along with it, which shrinks my printable size down since its so wide.  My records are formatted to fit across a sheet of portrait paper, so i need to get rid of the toolbar.  Next, I tried just to right click and "print frame" but I end up with 11 blank pages, and one page of records.

It would be nice if I could use a button to just open a new window with a print formatted layout.  It would also be nice if I could say somehow to not cut a particular record and put it on two pages, but to just move the entire record to a new page if its split between two pages.

Is there any functionality to do either of these things for a web published database?

• 1. Re: Web Publishing and Printing
          philmodjunk

You can hide the FileMaker ToolBar using Show HIde ToolBars.

If you hide that tool bar using such a script does that enable you to print without it?

• 2. Re: Web Publishing and Printing
            MatthewSpaw

I got it to hide the toolbar (although a thin bar is still visible at the top), but the larger issue is still present.  IE completely jacks up the printing, and FF is only marignally better with its single frame printing.  I can either print a frame, which prints me 1 page of records with 9 blank pages with page numbers or I can print as viewed on screen (in IE (this print view is where I was having issues with the toolbar showing)), which then doesnt print all the records.  I have double checked my header, body and footer boundaries in FM and they hug the data, so I have no idea why I would be getting so many extra pages when I print the frame.

Could I be better off exporting the data to a file to print?

• 3. Re: Web Publishing and Printing
              philmodjunk

IWP really doesn't do the job when it comes to printing.

Setting up a data export is an alternative, the exported data can even be a PDF all ready to print to hard copy, but the process needed to make this happen is not a simple thing. The user hast to post a "request" for the report that logs the needed criteria in a new table of such request. Then a script running at periodic intervals back on the host computer checks for new records appearing in this "request" table, uses the data in the recors of this table to reproduce the needed found set, exports data or saves as PDF, then emails the file to the person who logged the request.

• 5. Re: Web Publishing and Printing
                MatthewSpaw

That website isn't able to find the URL unfortunately.

Welp, it looks like it'll be far easier just to print him out a sheet from a workstation with filemaker on it instead of doing it himself.

Thanks guys.

• 6. Re: Web Publishing and Printing
                  philmodjunk

You do have the option of emailing a PDF from that workstation to him if that is more convenient.