10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 8:09 AM by RickHart

Web publishing cannot share files because IWP cannot be started

bridesrus

Title

Web publishing cannot share files because IWP cannot be started

I have OS 10.5.8, Filemake Pro 10, and have be reading all the solutions that others have posted about this problem. I do not have iChat on, have installed the web update fix, uninstalled and reinstalled the application, cannot find a web.prefs file. Keep getting the error "FileMaker cannot share files over the web because Instant Web Publishing cannot be started". I thought getting the latest FileMaker these issues would not longer be a problem but they are. I have no place to go. Hope someone can help me. Appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Web publishing cannot share files because IWP cannot be started
          pickler
             I ran into this problem too.  I called Filemaker and the technical department had me remove some files and all was resolved. 
          • 2. Re: Web publishing cannot share files because IWP cannot be started
            bridesrus
               Could you share these files you were to remove or should I call technical support? The first time I called, they could not help me other than tell me to download a patch, which did not work.
            • 3. Re: Web publishing cannot share files because IWP cannot be started
              TSGal

bridesrus:

Thank you for your posts.

There are a number of things to try, and Technical Support would be able to walk you through each step, and make decisions based upon the results of each of those steps.  It's not a black and white issue.

However, some of the common problems include:

Port 80 is being used by another application.  Set the Instant Web Publishing port to 591, as this port is reserved by FileMaker, Inc.  That is, no other application is allowed to use that port.

Some users try to install FileMaker Server and FileMaker Pro on the same machine.  This would cause Instant Web Publishing to not turn on.

Some users have older FileMaker Pro versions running at the same time.  This would also cause a conflict.

Also, there may be a bad "web.prefs" file.  This is located:

Hard Disk -> Applications -> FileMaker Pro 10 -> Extensions -> Web Support -> web.prefs

Rename this file, and restart FileMaker Pro 10.

Once launched, set Instant Web Publishing back to port 591.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Web publishing cannot share files because IWP cannot be started
                DanLane

I have FileMaker Server Advance 10.0.2.206 installed on Windows Server 2008 sp2. On this same server I have FileMaker Pro Advance installed.  I am having the same issue as above.  I see PHP web server is on Web Publishing Engine (IWP, XML and XSLT) is on.  But when I try to share a database I get the error "FileMaker cannot share files over the web because instant web publishing could not be started.".  According to what you are saying I should not have FM Pro and FM Server installed on the same machine because it will cause this error?  Could you help me out here?

\Dan

• 5. Re: Web publishing cannot share files because IWP cannot be started
                  TSGal

Dan Lane:

Thank you for your post.

You CAN have FileMaker Server and FileMaker Pro on the same machine, but having them both running simultaneously can cause a problem.  If IWP is turned on and displaying a green light on the server, then Instant Web Publishing is started and files should be accessible via IWP.  I believe the error message you describe emanates from FileMaker Pro and not FileMaker Server.  If you now launch FileMaker Pro and try to turn on IWP, you will definitely get an error.

Sorry... I'm a little confused.  Maybe it is better if you tell me the status of the "FileMaker Server Overview" from the Admin Console. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Web publishing cannot share files because IWP cannot be started
                    DPIT

Hello Everyone!

I am re-opening this bag of worms!

I'm new to Database Dev and this is my first time ever dealing with IWP.

A few things to know before I explain the problem. I am currently running MAC OSX 10.5.8 on a MacBook. Filemaker Version 10.0v3. As well as FMS 10 Advanced. The Database is on a remote server which I have remote access to, and I have a local copy of FMP where I do my work and then FMS is on the server obviously. 

Okay, so when I go into Sharing and try and turn on IWP it says that there is a conflict on port number 80, so I plugged in port 591 and it seem to accept it, but then it says that IWP cannot share files because IWP cannot be started.  On FMS the "button" next to IWP on the admin console is red, which I am assuming that means not working. I have tried turning IWP on but nothing happens. Like I said I am VERY new to all this, and will need to be led by the hand. Thanks in Advance

I have looked around now for a little while. I have found a few people reference deleting different Preference files. I have done that and it still does not work. Someone said that a reinstall worked for him( I haven't tried that yet) and someone else said stop using iChat, which I never use so that wasn't it. 

Is there something else out there that I can do or try before doing the reinstall. Thanks to everyone!

Also, I am expecting everyone to ask for more information. So Please Please don't hesitate to ask if you think you might be able to help!

Thanks Again!

Daniel P.

• 7. Re: Web publishing cannot share files because IWP cannot be started
                      jolist

Greetings from Alaska.

Have been struggling with this issue.  Am running FMP Advanced 11, OS 10.5.8 Server

Was wondering how you change ports if you cannot access IWP?  the issue is "IWP cannot be started"

I installed FMP Advanced 10 after 11 and it shows the same issue.  (had never installed any flavor of FMP on this machine before).

web.prefs were not in the WebSupport folder.  I copied from another install, and did not help.

Any other less common causes for this problem??

Regards,

jol

• 8. Re: Web publishing cannot share files because IWP cannot be started
                        mrsteveee

I am having this problem, too.  Has there been a solution?

• 9. Re: Web publishing cannot share files because IWP cannot be started
                          Corné

Same here, I'm on FMP11; deleting the web.prefs file didn't do the job either, also no new web.prefs file is generated after deleting this file and restart FMP.

No FMP advanced installation on top of FMP... Help is greatly appreciated!

• 10. Re: Web publishing cannot share files because IWP cannot be started
                            RickHart

I'm using FM Pro 8.5 and having the same problem. However using port 591 returns the same error. Deleting the wep pref file doesn't help either. I'm using a Mac and OS 10.7.5