2 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 3:24 AM by Tectic

Web Sharing - can I change the location of the shared database?

Tectic

Title

Web Sharing - can I change the location of the shared database?

I'm a newbie so this is probably a very simple question demonstrating my ignorance!  I've read lots of threads and the help files and I still don't know the answer.

I'm evaluation 10.0.1 and hoping to use it as the 'backbone app' for a business I support.  The first thing I want to set-up is a Customer Management function and I've found the template.  So far, so good. 

However, I'm confused by the statement "share over the web" - that's what I want to do but cannont work out how to do that.  I've followed the instructions to enable Web Sharing but the only option I get is for the local IP address, the problem is that's of the "192.168.1.x" variety - so how can an external user access the data over the web, surely I need to place the data at the end of a DNS/ domain or some such?

Probably very silly but I'm stuck and I'd really appreciate some pointers so I can take things further.

• 1. Re: Web Sharing - can I change the location of the shared database?
          TSGal

Tectic:

Thank you for your post.

When you turn on Instant Web Publishing, FileMaker displays the IP address of that machine.  If you then launch a browser and enter:

http://<IP Address>

You will see the Instant Web Publishing screen with your database listed (provided you set it to All users access).

If you want to share this for others outside the network, you will have to contact your service provider and acquire a static IP Address.  Or, there are several services that host FileMaker solutions for the web.  Use your favorite web search engine and search for "FileMaker Hosting".  This will give you a good starting point.  Also, I believe there are some forum members here who also provide FileMaker hosting.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Web Sharing - can I change the location of the shared database?
            Tectic

Thanks TSGal!

I finally did the obvious - asked the guy I pay for tech support and he pointed out that I needed to configure my router/adsl access to make the IP address available over the internet - all is now working fine!

However, I appreciate the answer and the assistance it offered, great forum!

Tectic