3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2009 1:40 AM by mbrunton

    web viewer behaviour in tab panels

    mbrunton

      Title

      web viewer behaviour in tab panels

      Post

      I wonder if somebody could give me a steer on where I'm going wrong with setting up web viewers in a tabbed panel (I'm reasonably au fait with FileMaker from way back but there's obviously something here I'm just not getting.)

       

      I have successfully created 3 web viewers to query different databases with the content of a particular field. They all work as expected. But when I try to lay them out in a tabbed panel they do not respond properly to the tabs—that's to say, when I switch to browse mode all the viewers appear to trigger, and after changing tabs a couple of times only the content of one of them will show. I thought this might have something to do with the way the tabs arranged, I have tried sending everything backwards and forwards to no avail.

       

      My next effort was to copy and paste a set of tabbed web viewers from FM's example database. I carefully replaced my own urls and search strings into the viewer setup boxes and hey presto, they did the same thing. After a lot of playing around it seems that whichever web viewer I set up last seems to hog the show every time. Are there some niceties of the setup search strings that might cause this behaviour?

       

      The other oddity I notice is that although documentation says that "When a web viewer is on a non-front tab control it's URL calculation will not be evaluated," I can briefly see that the pages do flicker load before the dominant web page grabs the front.

       

      I expect I'm missing something really obvious, but grateful if anyone could enlighten me.

       

      Mick (Mac OSX 10.5.7, FM Pro 10)

       

       

        • 1. Re: web viewer behaviour in tab panels
          TSGal

          mbrunton:

           

          Thank you for your post.

           

          I am running FileMaker Pro 10 on an iMac with Mac OS X 10.5.7.  I have done the following:

           

          1. On one of my layouts, I created a Tab panel with three tabs: "FileMaker", "Google", and "Ebay".

          2. In the first tab panel, I added a Web viewer with the address "http://www.filemaker.com"

          3. In the second tab panel, I added a Web viewer with the address "http://www.google.com"

          4. In the third tab panel, I added a Web viewer with the address "http://www.ebay.com"

           

          When I go to Browse, the first tab panel is active and the FileMaker, Inc. web site loads and displays.  When I click on the second tab panel, the Google web site loads and displays.  When I select the third tab panel, the Ebay web site loads and displays.

           

          Can you provide more specific information, and I'll try to duplicate the problem here.

           

          TSGal

          FileMaker, Inc. 

          • 2. Re: web viewer behaviour in tab panels
            philmodjunk
              

            Perhaps the web viewers only "look" like they're part of a tab control.

             

            Try this test in layout mode: use your mouse to drag just the tab control. If the web viewers are properly placed so that they are part of a specific "tab", they will move when the tab control is moved. If they stay in place when you move the tab control, they aren't really part of the tab control, perhaps a pixel or two of the viewer is not inside the limits of the tab.

            • 3. Re: web viewer behaviour in tab panels
              mbrunton
                

              Many thanks PhilModJunk and TSGAL,

               

              It was indeed a layout problem though not as you suggest to do with the placement of the web viewers but of the tabs themselves which I unwittingly positioned as slightly overlapping into the header field. Moving them safely within the body layout seems to have resolved all the flakey behaviour. I'm much obliged for your putting me on the right track.