4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2012 9:02 AM by fred@kca-inc.com

Web Viewer in IWP

fred@kca-inc.com

Title

Web Viewer in IWP

I have developed a script that generates a complex report in HTML (in a global field).  I show this field in the Web Viewer on a layout. In FMP, it works great.  I can take the generated HTML and save it as a file and it opens and looks great in the browser.  I can't seem it get it to work in IWP.  I"m getting 2 different strange results.

If the amount of data is short (less than about 50 lines), I get a "The webpage cannot be displayed" error in the iFrame. Looking at the "View Source" option shows only the code for the error page.

If the amount of data is longer, I get the Web Viewer displaying with a white background and no text and no scroll bar.  Looking at "View Source" seems to show the proper HTML code in the iFrame (src="<html>.......</html>").

I've tried just using the "data:text/html, <html><head></head><body>This is a Web Viewer Test in IWP</body></html>" in the calculation field of the Web Viewer and I get the "The webpage cannot be displayed" error in the iFrame. I read several posts which had examples that were supposed to work on IWP web Viewer.  None of them worked for me.

I tried using the "Compatibility Mode" of the web browser.  This causes the entire web page (IWP) to fail for a short data set and has the same results with a long data set.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, I"m using FMP 11 Advanced on Windows 7 Pro with IE 9.0.

• 1. Re: Web Viewer in IWP
          davidanders

Web Viewer in IWP
          IWP & WebViewer not displaying local data

SNIP
          When you specify "file:///E:/2009/week43/345678.htm", external web viewers are going to look on their local E: drive for that particular file.  Obviously, this won't be found.  Therefore, you may want to put the file either on a shared server or web hosting site and reference it directly.  That way, the file referenced can be found.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6006/kw/web%20viewer%20IWP
          What are the differences between the WebViewer feature and FileMaker Web Services?

The WebViewer feature is used to display information from the World Wide Web within your database while FileMaker Web Services are used to share information in your databases through the World Wide Web.

The WebViewer feature, introduced in FileMaker Pro 8.5 and FileMaker Pro 8.5 Advanced, is intended to give you a window into the World Wide Web within a FileMaker database. Using a WebViewer you can display a Google Map of an address in your address book database within the window of that database.

FileMaker Web Services, like Instant Web Publishing (IWP), let you share the information in your FileMaker databases on the World Wide Web. Using Web Services you can publish addresses from your address book to the Web so anyone with a Web Browser can see the information in your FileMaker database./

Web viewer with data: URL does not work in IWP
          Web viewer with data: URL does not work in IWP
          Web viewer does not work in IWP when using a data URL for the source of a web viewer (example: "data:text/html,<html>..."), that contains a double quote.

• 2. Re: Web Viewer in IWP
            fred@kca-inc.com

Thanks for the feedback, David.  I had been using the "Web viewer with data: URL does not work in IWP" forum post to try to get this working.  With further investigation, it appears that it may be a problem specific to IE9.  I tried the same IWP app using several browsers on my iPad (and the iPad Go app) and it works there.  I do notice, however, that there is no scroll bar on the iFrame in the browser.  Is that a limitation of the Web Viewer on IWP?  I"ve tried all of the various settings on the Web Viewer layout object.

Thanks

Fred

• 3. Re: Web Viewer in IWP
              Sorbsbuster

When setting up the web viewer, did you tick 'Allow interaction...'?

• 4. Re: Web Viewer in IWP
                fred@kca-inc.com

I did.  That' how I got the scroll bar to work on the desktop client, but it doesnt' seem to work in the IWP client???