3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 12:46 PM by JonJ

Web Viewer time-out

amoswright

Title

Web Viewer time-out

I am loading a web page into a web viewer. The page uses php to process some large xml files, so takes over a minute to load. It works fine in a browser, but times-out in FileMaker 11. Is it possible to increase the time-out setting for the FileMaker web viewer?

• 1. Re: Web Viewer time-out
          JonJ

I'm having exactly the same issue—this must be a change in 12.0.3, as my solution worked fine until very recently (Easter time was the last time I tried it). Basically, the page never refreshes, but 'hangs' at the form submission page. The same page in Safari and Chrome works fine.

Thanks FileMaker!

J.

• 2. Re: Web Viewer time-out
            amoswright

Hi JonJ,

I don't think I ever solved the web viewer problem, and, in this particular case, had to go outside filemaker. However, there are some scripts that I use to get web page content thatlike to call from within filemaker that might be made to work, namely using applescript to call a curl request:

Perform AppleScrfipt ["set cmd to \"curl 'http://yoursite.com/somepage.php?var1=val1&fmvar1=" & FilemakerDB::Field & "'\"" & ¶ & "set applescriptVar to do shell script cmd" & ¶ & "set cell \"FilemakerDBField\" of current record to applescriptVar"]

Should be more flexible anyway.

Best,

A.

• 3. Re: Web Viewer time-out
              JonJ

I'm experimenting with adding a flush(); somewhere early in my php script, to let the webviewer know that something is on the way back.

Very irritating, though. Even if it is going to time-out (without the ability to adjust the timeout length), they could at least show a 'page not available page' to let you know what's going on. 

I can work around by opening a browser, but it's a lot less elegant.