5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2011 1:24 PM by philmodjunk

WebViewer crashes FileMaker Pro 11

IbrahimJ.Peter

Title

WebViewer crashes FileMaker Pro 11

I use FileMaker Pro 11 under Windows XP SP 3.

To show the progress of a mailing I open a window with a certain layout.

The layout contains a WebViewer. The database field which feeds this WebViewer is beeing updated each 2 or 3 seconds.

The HTML Code is pretty simple: A <div> tag with some CSS.

When I start FileMaker and open the application file, run the mailing - evertyhing will be done as expected.

When I run the mailing a second time - FileMaker completely crashes down without any message. There's no logfile.

The crash happens when the script tries to go to another layout.

FM shows this behaviour over and over again - every 2nd run it crashes. FM must be shut a restarted to avoid the crash. Just closing my application file won't help.

Without the WebViewer element in my layout everyting is fine.

Isn't that crude?

Has someone got any advice apart from "change the database system"?

• 1. Re: WebViewer crashes FileMaker Pro 11
          philmodjunk

Crashes can cause database corruption and database corruption causes crashes so even if we eventially figure out another cause, you should check your file over for possible file corruption and revert to a back up copy if damage is found.

Run a recover on your file and see what it reports. Even if no problems are reported, test the recovered copy to see if it has the same crash issue.

You may also want to try running this database on a different machine, if possible, to see if you get the same crashes.

You may also want to create a small, new from scratch, database file with the same web viewer set up and see if it crashes.

About your web viewer, are you using the web viewer to display data only or is it connecting to a web site? Is it opening any files?

I think it is just being used to display data, but would like to confirm that.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: WebViewer crashes FileMaker Pro 11
            IbrahimJ.Peter

Thanks, PhilModJunk!

I run a recovery with no problems found.

But I could isolate the fault:

When I just open a window with a layout that only contains a WebViewer and then close this window, the system crashes.

Unimportant if the WebViewer is connected to a field or not.

But this only happens in this special file.

In a from scratch test file, everything works fine.

I also changed the table connected to the layout. No success.

The problem also appears in earlier versions of the application. So using a backup file would not help.

But it came up suddenly. Some months ago - in the same files - everything worked.

Neither did I update FM nor Windows. How could this be???

The file somehow must be corrupted. What can I do?
            • 3. Re: WebViewer crashes FileMaker Pro 11
              philmodjunk

First, take a copy of the file, delete the layout and replace it with a new one. If you have any back up copies that do not show this behavior, you can copy and paste layout objects from it. Otherwise, it is safest to recreate this layout from scratch.

If that works, you've got the issue licked. If not, you may be faced with the option of either rebuilding your file or reverting to an older back up copy.

Note how many times "back up" has come up in this post. Multiple, sequential backups can save you a lot of headaches. I set up a system that automatically makes such a back up copy every 15 minutes when I am developing a new database: Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

DB's in regular use should have regular backups also built in as part of the system, but usually not on such a tight interval.

• 4. Re: WebViewer crashes FileMaker Pro 11
                IbrahimJ.Peter

I found the reason for the crashes. From my point of view it is a FileMaker Bug:

At least on my computer one must not set the content of a WebViewer to "" and then close the window or leave the layout.

That provokes the crash.

With the content set to "data:text/html,<body></body>" for instance the programm works properly.

• 5. Re: WebViewer crashes FileMaker Pro 11
                  philmodjunk

this would be well worth reporting in the Report an issue section of this forum. That's where FileMaker techs look for bug reports. YOu can save some typing by copying the link to this thread to your clipboard then pasting that link into your issue report.