2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 10:13 PM by DrBob

    webviewer: different behaviours between OS X and Windows?

    DrBob

      Title

      webviewer: different behaviours between OS X and Windows?

      Post

      We are developing a FM10 application and using Supercontainer to store user generated pdf forms (invoices, orders etc.) and scanned imasges (pdf's, jpg's etc).

      We tried using the webviewer to display a preview of these documents (coming from supercontainer).

      When trying to preview a PDF, the web viwer displays it properly on a Mac OS X client, but fails to do so on a Windows XP client - it just shows the filename and the red X meaning missing image. JPEGs display fine.


      Is this to be expected or are we missing something?

      <!--  POLLS  -->Thanks<!--  FILES  --><!--  SIGNATURE  -->


        • 1. Re: webviewer: different behaviours between OS X and Windows?
          TSGal

          DrBob:

           

          Thank you for your post.

           

          A webviewer will display a PDF provided you have the correct pathname.  On my Windows XP machine, I have a PDF file on the desktop entitled "PDF9.pdf".  I launch Firefox, pull down the File menu and select "Open File...".  I go to the Desktop and select "PDF9.pdf" and my browser displays the file showing the URL:

           

          file:///C:/Documents and Settings/TSGal/Desktop/PDF9.pdf

           

          I then copy this URL to the clipboard, launch FileMaker Pro 10, open Test.fp7, add a Webviewer in Layout Mode, and paste the above URL.  When I go to browse, the PDF document displays.

           

          TSGal

          FileMaker, Inc. 

          • 2. Re: webviewer: different behaviours between OS X and Windows?
            DrBob
              

            Thanks TSGal,

             

            we are pulling these images from Supercontainer which is runnign on the Mac server. The URLs are in the form:

             

            http://192.168.1.2/FileData/blah-blah-blah/fred.pdf  etc

             

            We have found a solution, which itself is very puzzling.

             

            It turns out the URL we were using appears to be incorrect. Looking at the properties of the missing object and using the URL that refers to makes everything work on any client. However the object is at the original location on the webserver!!!!!

             

            It doesn't explain why it worked at all for the Mac clients. It must be a Supercontainer issue, not a Filemaker issue.

             

            Thanks anyway.

             

            Bob