9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2012 12:36 PM by nealer@coralwave.com

Weekly school calendar

nealer@coralwave.com

Title

Weekly school calendar

I'm trying to create a 5-lesson, 5-day calendar so that I can populate a few fields with information from a related table which has more detailed lesson plans. The information would be along the lines of Plan #, Plan Title, Objectives, Activities. My hope was that I could enter the Plan# and the related information from the plan would be filled in for each lesson. I've got it to work as far as Monday Lesson 1, but the remaining 24 lessons take on the same information. 

How can I set each lesson to act independently?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

NJR

• 1. Re: Weekly school calendar
          ryan

what relationship do you currently have established between your tables?

• 2. Re: Weekly school calendar
            philmodjunk

You may find this thread helpful: Auto Fill

And this simple calendar demo file may have some ideas in it that you can use: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8d03xvwe8vtz85/Calendar.fp7

• 3. Re: Weekly school calendar
              nealer@coralwave.com

I hope the image comes through. I've got everything for Monday Lesson 1, but, hopefully, you can see all the other lessons are populated with the same information. In this version I changed the names of the Lesson fields for Mon. 1 & 2 and Tue 1 to test it. 

Thanks

NJR

• 4. Re: Weekly school calendar
                philmodjunk

It looks like you are using individual fields where you should have individual records.

One record for one day's lesson plan data, then a second record for the next day's and so forth.

I'd give each lesson plan a date and set up the calendar layout to match to lesson plan records by date. That will automatically put each plan in the right place in the calendar.

You might take a closer look at the calendar demo file for which I uploaded a download link. The "Events" records are linked to individual "Days" in the calendar grid in such fashion. Each event record could be the lesson plan for one teacher on one day.

• 5. Re: Weekly school calendar
                  nealer@coralwave.com

But I need 5 lessons in 1 day. Will this approach still work? I did look at the link and Dropbox file you recommended.

Thanks 

NJR

• 6. Re: Weekly school calendar
                    philmodjunk

Yes, you can have multiple records with the same date. The demo file uses a portal to display "event" records so any number of records with the same date can by shown with the same day.

• 7. Re: Weekly school calendar
                      nealer@coralwave.com

The reason I tried to set it up with all the fields was that I have to be able to print it as a 5 X 5 calendar. If I change to portals will I have to put multiple portals in each lesson to show the data for each characteristic; i.e. a portal showing class top left, a duplicate showing topic below, another duplicate showing objectives below that? Or am I making it more complicated than it needs to be!!!

Thanks 

NJR

• 8. Re: Weekly school calendar
                        philmodjunk

It is possible that you may be overcomplicating things but putting additional portals on the layout is not that big a deal and keeping each subjects lesson plans in separate records should make managing those lesson plans--especially when a teacher wants to take last year's plans and use them to develop an updated copy for the new school year. (I used to teach at a private High School many years ago and used to use FMP to print out my LP's--though the database was "flat file" back then!)

I suggest looking over your tables and data and mapping out how all these elements relate to each other at the data level.

If you want a layout of just the LP's for one class for a given month, you might base it on a table where a field links the "weeks" records to a table of class records where you have one record for each class (or subject?). Then no portal is needed to show the class, you can just select a value from a value list and a field added to your layout from this related table will display the class and the portals that show data for each day include that field in the filter expression to filter out all records that store data for other classes.

Topics and objectives can be handled a number of ways. If LP's are always limited to one Topic per day, then a portal to display the topic can work, but I imagine that you could easily have two or more topics covered on a given day. In which case, creating set of topic/objective records where each record is either a topic or an objective with the data stored in different fields of the same record can work. This might produce this set of relationships to use when creating a lesson plan:

Class----<Lesson Plans----<TopicsAndobjectives>------State Standards

For displaying the lesson plan data in a calendar grid, you might use different occurrences of these tables (a table occurrence is a "box" found in Manage | Database | relationships) related like this:

Class>------Weeks------<TopicsAndObjectives>----Lesson Plans

• 9. Re: Weekly school calendar
                          nealer@coralwave.com

I have all the important information in my Lesson Plan table; the weekly calendar is simply a challenge to see if I can get the final part working. Not going well so far. It seems as though I need 'Layers' as in Photoshop, so I can control each lesson period independantly. I'm currently using your suggestion and going back to the beginning - if I ever get it working I'll let you know.

Thanks for your help

NJR