4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 3:36 PM by philmodjunk

Weekly/Monthly Price Updates

berryr0802

Title

Weekly/Monthly Price Updates

I am wondering if I can use Filemaker as a database to track assets such as books, coins, collectibles, etc, put a starting price as todays price, then go in each week or month and update that price.  Then have Filemaker show me the increases/decreases from week to week, month to month or year to year.  I would also like to account for yearly cost of living adjustments in the prices.  Can Filemaker do this or am I looking for another program?

• 1. Re: Weekly/Monthly Price Updates
          davidanders

Filemaker can do that.

The data for weekly or monthly will be coming from where?

Will it have a unique idenifier for each item matching your database or will you copy and paste, or enter the data?

• 2. Re: Weekly/Monthly Price Updates
            RSchaub

It could be done......

If you enter the price Icrease/Decrease into a related portal, Which is set up to add new records.

Entering into the last line of the portal will create a new related record for the paticular item

in the detail table. 

To track the increase/decrease of value a subsumarry report could be set up showing the starting value vs it's currnt value 

with a field showing the difference. 

As fot the cost of living increase. that's a new ball game , besides who today gets C.O.L. increases?

• 3. Re: Weekly/Monthly Price Updates
              berryr0802
                 I will enter each item by hand at first, I will only track about 750 to 1,000 items per month.  I would like a form in the database that I could enter the item number, then update the price with todays date/price.  Then at the end of the month, just print monthly report and it prints all the items and shows the increase/decrease in price.  Then I would like another report that I could print yearly that would do the same.  Each item will be unique.  The price data will come from sales from catalogs, internet, and customer data, but I can input that or pay for someone to do that.
              • 4. Re: Weekly/Monthly Price Updates
                philmodjunk

You should be able to simply log each price increase in a table where one record= 1 price change for 1 item.

Set auto-enter features on date fields to automatically mark each record with the

day the price change was logged, Get ( currentdate)

The month it was logged: Date ( month ( get ( currentdate ) ) ; 1 ; Year ( get ( currentdate ) ) )

Week it was logged: get ( currentdate ) - DayofWeek(get ( currentdate ) ) + 1

Using a relationship

PriceChangeTable::cMonth = PricechangeTable 2::cMonth AND

PriceChangeTable::ItemID = PricechangeTable 2::ItemID

cMonth is above Month calculation, PricechangeTable 2 is second occurrence of PriceChangeTable

Set relationship to sort the values by Day price changed was logged in ascending order.

From PriceChangeTable, Last ( PriceChangeTable 2:: Price ) - PriceChangeTable 2:: Price will compute the change in price from first to end of the month.