5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 12:36 PM by philmodjunk

Weird IWP issues... any help?

craig5005

Title

Weird IWP issues... any help?

Just having a small issue with IWP.  I'm not really working with this file or company anymore, but they have brought me in to troubleshoot.  Basically the database file is no longer showing up in the "Currently open files" list.  If I create a new fp7 file, it will show up in the list.  The priveleges are all set to allow IWP.  The only thing I can think of is that they recently moved the file from just another computer to an actual server (but not to FMS).  Could this be the issue?

THanks

Craig

• 1. Re: Weird IWP issues... any help?

craig5005:

Thank you for posting.

Is the database file located on the same machine that is running FileMaker Pro? Files won't appear in the "Currently open files" list if they were opened via "Open Remote..."

If so, have you tried copying or recovering the file?

TSuki
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Weird IWP issues... any help?
            craig5005

The .fp7 file is on a server, simply sitting there as a remote file we open on other computers.  We have FMS10, but haven't installed it as we could never get it to deploy correctly (long story).  Is there a way to turn on the IWP on the .fp7 file that is sitting on the server?  If I were to transfer it to the desktop of another computer, turn the IWP on, then move it back to the server woudl the IWP settings remain the same?

• 3. Re: Weird IWP issues... any help?

craig5005:

Generally you would designate one FileMaker Pro installation as the 'server'. This computer would open up the database and enable IWP. The other computers would use Open Remote or IWP to then connect to the server's shared database. Using filesharing to host the database could corrupt it and isn't recommended.

TSuki
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Weird IWP issues... any help?
                craig5005

Currently, the set up is as followed.

The .fp7 file is sitting on a file server.  All the computers that use the database are mapped to the server and open the database file remotely.  I want to enable IWP (which was working before they moved it to the server).  Before it was placed on the server, the file was sitting on the desktop of another computer and that computer would open the file, and the other computers would open it from that computer.

It was moved onto a folder on the server as they wanted it to be automatically backed up when the server performed its backup.  What would be the proper set up as to allow for the IWP to be enabled and also prevent corruption?

Craig

• 5. Re: Weird IWP issues... any help?
                  philmodjunk

You'll need to use the same set up on the server computer and then make sure the file is closed before it is backed up or the back up copy will likely be corrupted.

Install filemaker on the server and open your database on that computer first.

Don't map this folder to other computers, best practice is to not even share it.