3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 1:51 PM by philmodjunk

Weird Symbol Pasting into Filemaker

jeffd

Title

Weird Symbol Pasting into Filemaker

Does anyone know how to stop these crazy symbols, such as this FF160CX046063□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□, from pasting into filemaker fields when copying info from other sources?

• 1. Re: Weird Symbol Pasting into Filemaker
          philmodjunk

Use an auto-enter calculation such as:

Filter ( Self ; "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789")

To strip out the undesirable characters. If there are other characters such as punctuation marks or lowercase letters that also need to be paste-able, add them to the text in quotes. Also, clear the "do not replace existing value..." option.

• 2. Re: Weird Symbol Pasting into Filemaker
            jeffd

Phil,

I noticed today I'm having justa tad of a problem with the filter calculation. I did just as you stated but when I enter (Not Paste)AAAABBBD12345 as the serial number the calculation stripped out the leading alpha characters. When I copy & paste this same text string it works just fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Weird Symbol Pasting into Filemaker
              philmodjunk

Look for some other cause for the missing character unless it was a lower case letter that started your text. (The function as I wrote it filters out lowercase letters.)

Auto-enter calcs should work the same for both pasting and typing data into the field.