8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2012 7:24 AM by philmodjunk

What am I missing?

jb362

Title

What am I missing?

I have layout which uses data from two tables.

Storage Locker table

Storage Locker ID_PK

Storage Locker Size ID_fk

Storage Locker Size table

Storage Locker Size ID_PK

Storage Locker Size

Storage Locker Rent                     

The Sub Summary is sorted by Storage Locker Size ID_fk

The Body contains Storage Locker Rent

The report prints except now I would like to include the sub-total for Storage Locker Rent for each Sub Summary as well as a grand total for Storage Locker Rent?

What do I need to add to finish the report?

Thanks for any help,

Jerry

• 1. Re: What am I missing?
          philmodjunk

Can you describe your report in more detail? I can go about 5 different ways with possible suggestions from what you have described so far, but only one of those is likely to be what you had in mind.

This a report listing all lockers rented by a given client, listing each locker sorted by size with both a grand total for the client and a subtotal for each locker that they rent? (If so, seems like you need several additional tables and relationships here.)

• 2. Re: What am I missing?
            jb362

Here is a snippett of the report...

I want the report to show the rent total for each Sub-Summary, i.e., Locker Size, as well as the grand total.

Nothing I've defined in the table or on the report gives me that information.

Hope that clarifies the issue.

Jerry

• 3. Re: What am I missing?
              philmodjunk

Define a summary field. sTotal that computes the total of your rent field.

Go to your layout, enter layout mode and add a sub summary layout part "when sorted by" . You can add two such layout parts, one that prints above and one that prints below the group of records that will list for each locker size.

Put your summary field in one of these sub summary parts to show the sub total.

Put the same summary field into a grand summary layout part to show the grand total.

Be sure to sort your records by the "when sorted by" field you specify for your sub summary layout parts.

• 4. Re: What am I missing?
                jb362

Storage Locker table

…

Storage Locker Size ID_fk

…

Storage Locker Size table

Storage Locker Size ID_PK

…

Storage Locker Rent             Number

Rent Total                               Summary             = Total Storage Locker Rent

…

The report is associated with the Storage Locker table.

The tables are related using the Storage Locker Size fields.

Both Sub-Summaries are sorted on the Storage Locker Size::Storage Locker Rent field.

Just a guess but it appears as though the Summary Field, Rent Total is not totaling the Storage Locker Rent records but is using the value for only the current record?

Any idea what I still have set up incorrectly?

Thanks,

Jerry

• 5. Re: What am I missing?
                  jb362

Here is the snippet showing the output...

• 6. Re: What am I missing?
                    philmodjunk

I see ::Rent Total on your screen. The :: indicate a problem. Either your layout is based on the wrong table occurrence or you have selected the wrong field. THe layout and the summary field should both be based on the same data source table.

• 7. Re: What am I missing?
                      jb362

I was finally able to get the report to print with the totals.

I'm a self-taught hobbyist who is still learning about and trying to understand how relationships and table occurances work.

Phil has someone perhaps created a “primer” on relationships which could help to bring me up to speed?

Thanks again,

Jerry

• 8. Re: What am I missing?
                        philmodjunk

"Relationships" is a pretty general topic. A subtopic of relationships are "table occurrences" and how to use them in FileMaker: Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?