7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 4:12 PM by dewey

What app prints Manage Database print file?

dewey

Title

What app prints Manage Database print file?

I am starting to document my database.  If I go to Manage Database and highlight all the fields, I can print out a report with the specs of all the fields.  But I'd like to output to a file to reformat and add more information to the report.  There is a Print File option, but I can't find an application, not even WordPad or Notepad, that gives me anything but garbage.  Will anything translate the Print File?

Thanks

• 1. Re: What app prints Manage Database print file?
          philmodjunk

I know of two options:

1. Use Adobe Acrobat or one of the many print to PDF utilities to print to a PDF format. Keep in mind that if you need to, you can copy text from your PDF and paste it into a word processor or other app if needed.
          2. Get FMP advanced and use its Database Design Report to print out your field definitions.
          • 2. Re: What app prints Manage Database print file?
            dewey
               Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, FMP gives me no option re print file format.  Don't know WHAT it's in, but it's not PDF.  Just for grins, I tried adding .PDF to it but Adobe didn't recognize it.  I tried importing back into FMP, hoping that maybe it would load it into a database format, but got garbage there too! (Why would they offer a print to file alternative if it can't be read???)
            • 3. Re: What app prints Manage Database print file?
              philmodjunk

That's not what I am suggesting.

Acquire Adobe Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader) or one of the PDF generating utilities available and install it on your machine. When you want to Print from manage | database, select the PDF utility as your "printer" and then print to PDF.

• 4. Re: What app prints Manage Database print file?
                dewey

OK I get it.  I have Adobe Acrobat and I created a PDF file successfully.  But it doesn't contain all the info on the FMP print copy (such as the Formula/Entry Option), nor is it formatted correctly (one field per page instead of fields listed in rows).   Shouldn't it be the same image as the FMP hard copy?  I'm stumped.

Thanks for helping.
                • 5. Re: What app prints Manage Database print file?
                  dewey

Well I got back to this, not wanting to give up yet.  I changed Portrait to Landscape in the Print dialog and now at least I got all the field data I was supposed to.  (Still don't know why Portrait didn't work because the print copy comes out fine from FMP in Portrait).  Then I converted the PDF to Word.  In Word, the only way I was able to view all the text was in Print Layout.  Normal Layout showed only table headers.  And each page of data was in a separate table that I could access only one at at time.   So that's what I did.  I went into each table with Edit Text, copied, and pasted into a new Word document.  Did this about ten times for the ten pages of fields into the same document.  The ten tables merged automatically, which was nice.  Some of the cells which had a lot of text were a little mixed up, but overall it will have saved me a lot of typing from the FMP field list.  I'll use this as a starting point for documenting my database fields.

So overall it sort of worked, but should have been a more straight forward, no?

• 6. Re: What app prints Manage Database print file?
                    philmodjunk

Just wondering...

Did you try copying the text from the PDF and pasting it into word? I'm wondering if that might have been a touch simpler. I can't generate PDF's with a PDF utility to test that idea so I could be wrong.

• 7. Re: What app prints Manage Database print file?
                      dewey
                         Yes I tried a copy and paste from the PDF file.  It loses the table format and results in a straight text paste.  Useful but not as good as copying from the Word print file.