1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 12:37 PM by philmodjunk

What can I safely import when rebuilding a corrupted solution from scratch?

WF7A

Title

What can I safely import when rebuilding a corrupted solution from scratch?

Alas, my FMP solution has somehow gotten corrupted so I'm taking other developers' advice to rebuild it from scratch. Ugh. Scores of scripts, intricate layouts, and hundreds of customized fields will have to be recreated. This ain't gonna be pretty, folks.

What, if anything, can I safety import, or copy-then-paste, from the "old" file into the new one? It'll take me six months if I have to create everything from scratch. *heavy sigh*

TIA for your response(s) and HNY!

Rich

• 1. Re: What can I safely import when rebuilding a corrupted solution from scratch?
          philmodjunk

It depends on the level of risk you are willing to live with. If you must be 100% sure that you aren't importing file corruption issues from your damaged file, NO part of the file may be imported.

But if your file damage in the damaged file is detectable by recover, it's often reasonable to import or copy/paste one element of the file at a time, keeping lots of backups and running frequent recover operations on the file to check for any issues brought in with the new stuff from the original file. If a recover detects an issue, discard that copy and revert back to the most recent copy that recovers cleanly and try importing a different piece of the file.