5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 10:15 AM by Jade

What developer standards do you recommend?

dsimonson

Title

What developer standards do you recommend?

Ok, I have figured out a tremendous amount of my anesthesia EMR.  Now I want to start from scratch and do everything right, replacing my rough stuff and dead ends with a very clean solution.

I want to follow widely used standards because my eventual goal is to release this into the public domain and let people build on it.  

With that in mind, would anyone like to share their preferences for standards?  I have downloaded FMStartingPoint, and visited Matt Petrowsky's Filemaker Standards site, and I like both - but I am leaning towards using the Filemaker Standards because I think they will better allow me to use the data separation model.  

Any advice is much appreciated.

Dan

• 1. Re: What developer standards do you recommend?
          philmodjunk

Make sure that you include "anchor buoy" and "selector connector" in your research.

• 2. Re: What developer standards do you recommend?
            FentonJones

A couple of things, kind of side-points, which I don't know whether they talk about, but which matter a great deal, for me. Which is that you use the "best" words (or shortened words) to name things; ones that at least give you a good hint about what something is; how it sorts is also fairly important, as it really helps to know pretty much where to look, in a long list.

The other thing is comments. I'm not real keen of tons of comments in scripts, as too much can make a script difficult to read as a "whole" ( which can matter, as sometimes a step way before can matter to something later ). In some (extreme) cases, a "dupe" of the "light" script, with more comments may be good (though I've very rarely done that, can be a pain if lots of changes are made later {making many comments no longer true} ).

Adding a "blank step" between "operations" is also useful, even if you do not need a written line. Also, in many cases you can add the "mini comment(s)" within a calculation itself, either to see in the script lines, and/or more in the calculation itself (ones again, not too much).

One big problem I find is that we are developers rather than writers. Hence we're in more of a hurry to "get it to work" than are about "reading it much later."

My situation is that I am no longer a professional, because of a brain injury, a stroke, a few years ago, which resulted in some Aphasia; words are often a problem. I've gotten quite a bit back, enough to write this. But reading some of my older databases, if only to attempt to answer a question, can sometimes be difficult, because I did not comment some things that I should have (or did so poorly).

So, take your time, thing clearly, try to describe things in the simples shortest way you can, in things that you will not able to easily guess later; do not however, write lots in obvious things;   be selective.

P.S. I use "speak" to listen to what I write, as my writing is much better than my reading.

• 3. Re: What developer standards do you recommend?
              philmodjunk

I will mildly disagree with Fenton on comments. When you know that your work will be accessed by others--such as when part of a programming team or when you are going to "open source" your project, in my opinion, it's better to err on the side of too many comments than not enough. What is obvious to you because it is your work with a style that fits how you think, it really helps to add a bit more explanation. A short summary of the script's purpose at the beginning, a name and date, plus a revision history documenting who made changes, what and when can be very, very important.

Where I work, we are in the process of reviewing our best practices and standards in order to produce something that doesn't tie everyone up in read tape, but which also works to reduce the time "reverse engineering" code when we look at someone else's work and try to figure it out.

• 4. Re: What developer standards do you recommend?
                dsimonson

Excellent responses, thanks!  I have spent the morning watching Todd Geist's videos on selector/connector models - what an eye-opener!  

I get the connector idea, I need to think about the selector idea.  And I want to make sure that I include data separation, so I need to fully understand how selector/connector affects that.  He says that you can use anchor-buoy with it, and I plan to - but I need to understand how to integrate that with these two additional concepts.

I also agree with your "red tape" concern, Phil.  

So: Anchor-buoy, selector/connector, data separation model - any other tips?  Thanks!

--

Dan

• 5. Re: What developer standards do you recommend?
                  Jade

Hi Dan,

It might be worth skimming through the suggestions on this site:

http://filemakerstandards.org/display/cs/Overview