6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 10:01 AM by meh67

What do I need to buy to transfer Bento 3 to filemaker?

meh67

Title

What do I need to buy to transfer Bento 3 to filemaker?

I am in a small office where currently we have Bento3 running on a server - then we have 5 licenses so that the server can run Bento3 and 4 employees have Bento on their machines that all run the server's shared database. Now that Bento is obsolete and we have Yosemite we can't run Bento (i am currently sharing the screen with the server to access my data). I need to transfer Bento to Filemaker but am not sure what I need. There is filemaker pro, Filemaker Pro advanced. a server version, etc.

Can i just get Filemaker Server - install it on the server, then get licenses for the four employees or do I need filemaker installed on each employees computer?

• 1. Re: What do I need to buy to transfer Bento 3 to filemaker?
          schamblee

No Bento will not run as is in FM.  Two different programs all together, but there is a migration tool that is free but there have been issue with it running on some os, so you can send your file to FMI to be converted.   See TSGAL last post at this link Does Bento Migration Tool work with Filemaker Pro 14?

Here is a link to the Migration tool http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12105/~/bento-4-to-filemaker-migration-tool

• 2. Re: What do I need to buy to transfer Bento 3 to filemaker?
            meh67

Yes, I am aware of the migration tool. Im not sure it will work with Bento 3 (it says it migrates Bento 4 which I don't have). I am hoping I can import the data from Bento to Filemaker as easily as I imported the original filemaker data to bento. We originally had filemaker pro and that is where all my data came from. But years ago when we updated our computers, filemaker would not run unless we upgraded it as well, and we saw that Bento was cheaper and did everything we needed. But now that Bento is dead, I need to go back to filemaker. Im just crossing my fingers it will work. Nothing fancy or media or anything like that. Just simple data in rows.

As far as what I need to get though. Anyone have any suggestions? Do i just need Filemaker Server then I can access it on mulitple machines or do I need to buy separate filemaker software for each machine?

• 3. Re: What do I need to buy to transfer Bento 3 to filemaker?
              philmodjunk

Open Report an Issue (see tabs at top of screen). Find a post by TSGal. Click her forum name to get to a dialog where you can send her a private message. Ask her for help. She's actually migrated some folk's data from Bento to FileMaker and then emailed the file back to them.

Note that this just get's the data into FileMaker. You'll have a lot of work ahead of you to set up the database to actually work for you as you'll need to design scripts, layouts, relationships from scratch and FileMaker is quite different from Bento judging by the comments of others who have made that transition.

• 4. Re: What do I need to buy to transfer Bento 3 to filemaker?
                meh67

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. When it comes time to migrate I will definitely do that.

Im hoping to make a purchase of FileMaker soon to get this started. Anyone have any insight into what I need to buy? All the different version of Filemaker (Pro, Advanced, Server) are a little confusing when I read their descriptions and info. I don't want to buy more than we need. Plus I don't want to buy something that is not going to handle 5 users (server + 4 employees). 

• 5. Re: What do I need to buy to transfer Bento 3 to filemaker?
                  schamblee

Like I stated in my first  post FMI will convert the files for you.  Click on the other link I provided then click on TSGAL user name to send her a message and ask where to send the your files.    

You will have to have a copy of FM on each machine, unless you use webdirect with FMS.  Webdirect has limited features compared to FM.  I would recommend using FM on each machine.   FM can have four concurrent users plus the server to host the database.  For faster access or more client you will need FMS.   Sales can help you with what you need to purchase.   FMI also has an annual rental plan.

• 6. Re: What do I need to buy to transfer Bento 3 to filemaker?
                    meh67

OK, thanks. Yeah, I understand the part about TSGAL helping me if I need it (I got that part from the beginning). I was more concerned with getting unbiased info on what to buy. I don't really trust a salesman not to up-sell me as it has happened before and we are a small company. Looks like I don't need the server version from your description. Thanks.