3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 9:23 AM by philmodjunk

What happens if Client forgets to close DB (non-server)?

MatthewLondon

Title

What happens if Client forgets to close DB (non-server)?

Hi,

I'm running a small network with FMPro12 (non-server) running on a file server and two or three clients connecting using FM's built in sharing. Occasionally one of the clients will a) Close their laptop with the DB still open and leave the office or b) Close their laptop and put it to sleep without closing the DB

I try to manually close the DB on the server each night to perform a backup.

My question is what is the potential danger of the client not closing the DB? I assume that each time a change is made to the client DB it is automatically written to the host DB sitting on my file server, correct? So theoretically it should not be a problem, but would like to know from those with more experience.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: What happens if Client forgets to close DB (non-server)?
          philmodjunk

If the user enters some data into a record and does not commit the changes before they close up their laptop, those changes might not be saved to the database and the data could be lost. Much of the time, user actions automatically commit the data, changing layouts, closing the database window, changing records, clicking the layout background all commit the current record. So this might only happen if they close their laptop immediately after entering some data.

• 2. Re: What happens if Client forgets to close DB (non-server)?
            MatthewLondon

OK, so if they type something in a field and leave the cursor there, it would NOT be commited, but if they select an item from a popup/checkbox/radio button, etc, it would be commited, correct?

If the data is not commited, is the worst case that it would just loose that particular data, or could it potentially corrupt the host DB?

• 3. Re: What happens if Client forgets to close DB (non-server)?
              philmodjunk

Data entered by interaction with a layout control such as a radio button or pop up is also not committed until one of the actions that I described commits the record.

I can't see any way that this would corrupt the hosted file--especially if it is hosted via server and not via FileMaker Pro.

Worst case scenario would be a loss of data from the layout's current record and any modifications to related records such as rows of data in a portal if that data was not committed.