8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2009 6:28 AM by Lyle1

What is different about FM Pro Academic version?

trixiesirisheyes

Title

What is different about FM Pro Academic version?

Besides not being able to use it commercially? And how would they even know if I did? (I'm planning to use it for personal reasons and for a business education nonprofit I'm the membership chair of).

Is there any functionality difference? I got "The Missing Manual: Filemaker Pro 10" before I got the software, and I see the software is an academic version. Should I return the book, or am I good?

• 1. Re: What is different about FM Pro Academic version?
          davidhead
             AFAIK the only difference between a full license and an academic license is in the proper use - limited for academic use. Otherwise, it is fully featured and not disabled in any way. So you should be good to go. Enjoy FileMaker Pro.
          • 2. Re: What is different about FM Pro Academic version?
            trixiesirisheyes
               If I *were* to use it commercially, how would the makers of fileMaker even know? I'm kind of surprised - even Adobe will let me use its Creative Suite software (academic version) (for which I paid a lot of money) commercially. Again, it's kind of a nonissue, since I have no plans to use it commercially, but the issue may come up down the road. I've not been able to find out on the FileMaker website how much it would cost to upgrade to a commercial license. Apparently I'm the only person in history to ask such a question.
            • 3. Re: What is different about FM Pro Academic version?
              davidhead

If you were to use it commercially, probably no-one would know. But that does not make it legal.

I would be very surprised if Adobe allowed an academic version to be used commercially.

I can't speak for FileMaker but I do not believe there is any upgrade path from education to commercial licenses. 

• 4. Re: What is different about FM Pro Academic version?
                trixiesirisheyes

Adobe has had this policy in place for a couple of years or so (from their website):

Student question

"I'm very interested in buying the Education version of Adobe Creative Suite, but first I want to know if the software can be used to produce work for paying customers once I am working in the industry, or do I have to buy a different version of Creative Suite once I'm working in the industry?”

Answer

Good news! You can use Adobe Education software (any title!) to produce commercial/professional paid-for work when you leave school, or even while you are in school. In this regard, Adobe does not limit how student software is used. So students can use it to learn and to make money!

(Of course, students must agree to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement — which appears during installation — just as every software customer must do.)

--------------

As you can see, I'm trying to determine if I can use FileMaker Pro Academic Version's use legit if I use it commercially at some point, which, again, I have no plans to do. Too bad FileMaker can't be as enlightened. I spent a lot of money several years ago making sure I *owned* a copy of all the software I was using, rather than continuing to make money off of borrowed copies as I did when I started out. I'll have to make sure the next version I buy is not the Academic version. By then, I'm sure I'll be using it commercially. I sort of have my hands full with other things right now.

Thanks for the info.

• 5. Re: What is different about FM Pro Academic version?
                  trixiesirisheyes
                     BTW, although I had to take this semester off for surgery, and despite the fact that I'm nearly a senior citizen, I am back at school to get my degree in art (I'm having a hard time deciding between graphic design as my major or minor, and fine art as my major or minor, since I do both professionally). I'm happily anticipating the summer and schedule at my local college as I chew through my general ed requirements before I hit the University system.
                  • 6. Re: What is different about FM Pro Academic version?
                    TSGal

trixiesirisheyes:

Thank you for your post.

There is no difference between the Academic version and the general release version.  When you leave school, you take the product with you.  There are no restrictions using it professionally.  (However, when it comes time to upgrade, you will have to pay retail prices).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: What is different about FM Pro Academic version?
                      trixiesirisheyes

Thank you. I look forward to learning this program. I'm teaching myself PHP and MySQL, and I'm intrigued by the possibility of using FM to integrate with MySQL. My only experience with databases is Access, like 9 or 10 years ago on the PC at work. FM looks way better.

Take care.

• 8. Re: What is different about FM Pro Academic version?
                        Lyle1

TSGal wrote:

trixiesirisheyes:

Thank you for your post.

There is no difference between the Academic version and the general release version.  When you leave school, you take the product with you.  There are no restrictions using it professionally.  (However, when it comes time to upgrade, you will have to pay retail prices).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

How heartening to see that FileMaker retains some faith in the power of evangelism! Students bring FileMaker to work, create solutions that others like and decide they need, and presto! Purchase orders start being cut. Everybody wins.
                        It works in reverse, too! We got a few licenses for FMP 10 at work, and I've done enough work with it to see things I could use it for at home and at school. I'm already saving up... 
                        Speaking of evangelism, our adoption of FMP at work is going to result in the purchase of at least one Mac! :-)