3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2015 5:56 PM by starstuff

What is the best way to update product prices?

starstuff

Title

What is the best way to update product prices?

Hi All!

i like to update the product prices right inside the LINE ITEM, so far i was able to do this manually using a button with a script

Replace Field Content [No dialong; PRICING_PRODUCTS::price ; LINE_ITEM::price]

The problems im encountering is that

1. if i have a product in the LINE ITEM that has no prior record in the PRICING_PRODUCTS, it wont commit the product and price, so if i add the same product, the price is still blank. How to do this using script?

2. i would like this to be automatic, so if i change the price in the LINE ITEM, it will automatically change the price in PRICING_PRODUCTS, How to do this?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: What is the best way to update product prices?
          SteveMartino

1.  You shouldn't have a product in Line Item that isn't picked from the products table (layout).  You can script if you what you type in a type-ahead situation yields no record, have you pop up the products table, create new record, commit, and drop it into line items

2.  I don't think your method would be recommended.  Best to control the price in Products, with a calculation or lookup to line items.  Then you can change the price in line items manually and not have it effect any other invoices.

If you have to do it your way, a set variable (line items price), GTRR in Products, Set Field (the price field from the variable) may work.  I would try it on a copy first

• 2. Re: What is the best way to update product prices?
            philmodjunk

I agree with Steve. If you are going to change a price such that all new line items for that product should now have the new price, it should be done in products, not line items. The same for adding a new product. If necessary, you can set up a popover on your layout for creating a new products record where you can then enter data into the appropriate fields of the new record.

• 3. Re: What is the best way to update product prices?
              starstuff

Thank you STEVE MARTINO and PhilModJunk for the advice!