6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 5:41 PM by KenS

What is the great difference between Filemaker 10 Pro and Filemaker 10 Pro Advance

Yman

Title

What is the great difference between Filemaker 10 Pro and Filemaker 10 Pro Advance

I am trying the trial of Filemaker 10 Pro, and successfully created several database. Now i plan to buy the full version, actually do i need to buy Pro Advance?

• 1. Re: What is the great difference between Filemaker 10 Pro and Filemaker 10 Pro Advance
          user14360

Hi Yman,

There are a couple of extra features in the advanced version that are useful if you're doing a lot of development.  

There is the script debugger, which is great for debugging those complex scripts.

There is the data viewer, which allows you to easily view values from various different expressions in different contexts, which can help you better define your fields.

You can do custom menus with advanced.

And you can produce a database design report.

Personally, I use the script debugger and the data viewer a lot, but it probably depends on the complexity of the databases you are planning on creating.

• 2. Re: What is the great difference between Filemaker 10 Pro and Filemaker 10 Pro Advance
            Yman
               Thank your reply, i really do not understand the difference by reading the offical site description
            • 3. Re: What is the great difference between Filemaker 10 Pro and Filemaker 10 Pro Advance
              RickWhitelaw

As well, with FMPA you can create stand-alone runtime solutions.

This, and all the points mentioned by Hildy, make the Advanced option the way to go if you intend to do anything more than basic DB design. Custom menu sets alone give a solution a huge UI advantage. However, if you're sure what you're going to do doesn't involve any of these things, I suppose you could save some dough and go with FMP.

RW 

• 4. Re: What is the great difference between Filemaker 10 Pro and Filemaker 10 Pro Advance
                LeoB

Yman:

I initially bought FMP10, but found out that it cannot operate in kiosk mode, which means users will not see the toolbars, etc. and thus cannot edit or modify the program.  In kiosk mode it runs like a full software application.  I needed that, but was able to return FMP10 (download version) and buy FMP10 Advanced.

The FM website really does not do a good job of spelling out all the differences between the versions.

Unless you're on a really tight budget, spend the extra money and get Advanced.  It will probably more than pay for itself in the long run.

• 5. Re: What is the great difference between Filemaker 10 Pro and Filemaker 10 Pro Advance
                  philmodjunk

The debugger alone has save me hours of hair pulling when a script failed to produce expected results. With filemaker 10's layout based script triggers that can fire in the middle of another script's execution, this becomes even more useful.

The data base design report is especially helpful when analyzing older, recently converted versions of filemaker or when I need to figure out the design (or lack thereof) for a file I didn't create.

• 6. Re: What is the great difference between Filemaker 10 Pro and Filemaker 10 Pro Advance
                    KenS
                       I'd second the above responses. The script debugger and data viewer are truly indispensable tools (i'm not exaggerating) for anything more than a very basic database. If your looking at a very simple database FM10 is fine. But if you are intending to use scripting, calculation fields, lookup fields, buttons, etc then Advanced is certainly the way to go. I typically run a new script with the debugger on and step through it watching the results, and so I use it a lot and avoid lots of "i dont understand why it's not working time." Without it you'll spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out some very simple mistakes.