9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 3:30 PM by appt

What the heck is happening to all of our files!!!!!!

appt

Title

What the heck is happening to all of our files!!!!!!

We have set up a number of users with Filemaker Go solutions that for the last year have worked absolutely fine.

But in the last fortnight we have been inundated with complaints about the following message

“This item cannot be modified here because it is already being modified in a different window”

Nothing has changed, they are the same files that have worked faultlessly, records are being committed after editing, now our tiny little business is looking fragile due to this problem.

I don't seem to be able to find any answers on the internet, just plenty of people with the same issue.

Can someone please tell me what has changed and what I can do to fix it?

• 1. Re: What the heck is happening to all of our files!!!!!!
          schamblee

Filemaker has not been able to recreate the problem, but several user have gotten the message, I have received it myself.  You have to close Filemaker Go, by double clicking the home button and closing Filemaker Go.   Also if the record is open in another window you will receive the error.  Nothing has changed, this just randomly shows up since version 12.

• 2. Re: What the heck is happening to all of our files!!!!!!
            philmodjunk

Correction, FileMaker HAS been able to recreate the problem--exactly once according to my, possibly out of date information.

It's possible to set up a script that runs OnFirstWindow open that checks for the hypothetical "error state" that creates this issue and pop up a message warning the user and telling them how to restart FM GO to correct the problem. So far, after extensive use, I have yet to have this issue appear once I get the file open without this script popping up a warning.

Here's a demo file that contains the needed start up script: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78737945/DatePickerPopoverDemo.fmp12

You can import the script, use File Options to set up the trigger. But you will need to modify the script to reference a field defined in your database file. Feel free to use the DatePicker demonstrated in this file if you like it better than the "spinning wheels" date picker that comes with iOS devices and which is used to select dates for date fields in FM GO.

• 3. Re: What the heck is happening to all of our files!!!!!!
              schamblee

It had been over a year or two since I had seen anything from FMI about this issue.  I haven't really kept up with the issue, because I only had it to occur one time.   I though you (PhilModJunk) had a script in a demo file to test, but I couldn't remember which demo file had the script. 

• 4. Re: What the heck is happening to all of our files!!!!!!
                Jade

If I recall correctly, one user reported that he resolved this problem by increasing the Auto Lock time (found in the Settings>General panel) to more than the default 1 minute setting.

• 5. Re: What the heck is happening to all of our files!!!!!!
                  schamblee

I haven't changed any setting, and I only had the problem one time.   I think the issue (auto lock settings) had to due with transferring files with iTunes).  If the device is locked then you can't transfer files.  I read so many post, I may be the one mixing up the issues.  My phone wasn't locked and I was using it at the time so it should not been trying to lock, so I don't think that is the issue.  I've been wrong before, I don't tell everyone that. smiley

• 6. Re: What the heck is happening to all of our files!!!!!!
                    Jade

Stacy,

Please read the post by Martin Dow near the bottom of this thread…

can't enter text data in Go

• 7. Re: What the heck is happening to all of our files!!!!!!
                      philmodjunk

Hmmm, forgot that recent post. Definitely need to do some testing on my phone on that trick. I've also found that once you get a single file open without tripping the error (via my startup script's check on the issue), I can open any number of other files without encountering this issue. I've been able to keep that one file open for days with no occurrence of this problem nor did my start up script detect any issues when I opened these other files.

Once I went back to my habit of closing each file when I was through with them, my script started detecting issues...

I suspect that the long list of factors, some of which may not be identified that all have to occur are what makes this such a "slippery devil" for FileMaker Inc. to try and "trap".

• 8. Re: What the heck is happening to all of our files!!!!!!
                        schamblee

Thanks for that link, I don't remember seeing that post.  I don't know if that is related to my issue I had (same error message), because it was on a iPhone 5.  I will have to go back and test.  I haven't received the error on my iPhone 6.   It might relate to Andy issue as well.

• 9. Re: What the heck is happening to all of our files!!!!!!
                          appt

Thanks everyone. I have been getting people to close FM GO and it does seem to solve the issue. Phil thanks for the file, I will include the error detection/message - weird that the other issue this week was someone finding the date picker a pain and you have the solution in this post - nice, will have a play later.